Author
Topic: Ink on Banknotes  (Read 3470 times)
RubberSoul
« on: December 18, 2009, 11:32:10 am »

I have a banknote (1954) with some writing on it (ink). Can anyone tell me how I might go about removing it? I know it could do some harm to the note, but I still think it would be better without the writing.

Thanks.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 11:35:23 am »

Get one of those erasers with a blue end... they're meant for removing ink. Yes, you will do irreparable damage to the note, but if you're OK with that, then have at 'er. Put some elbow into it.

[edit]Note: I never recommend erasing ink or attempting to do so. But, as you've already acknowledged and stated your acceptance of the risks, then go right ahead.[/edit]
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 12:03:58 pm by BWJM »

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
numismateer
  • Paper Money is History! it's plastic now
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 11:48:10 am »

I would advise against it, becuase then what you'll have is ink that's been attempted to get erased.
2 wrongs don't make a right.
Mortgage Guy
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 12:06:52 pm »

I would suggest that if you're really set on trying to remove it and assuming your note have some value try getting your hands on regular notes (trading post) that have some ink stains on it and use is as a practice run. the results could change your mind.

Always Buying Any Replacements and Special Serial Numbered Notes In C.Unc+ Condition
hanmer
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 03:01:19 pm »

Just don't do it!!

:)
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 03:36:55 pm »

Rubbing a note will invariably leave a mark that is at least as bad as the original ink stain because the rub mark is a smoking gun that something nefarious has been done to try to improve the note's appearance.

Having said that, you could try washing the note.  Many old notes with manuscript (i.e., handwritten) countersignatures have had their ink lifted by washing, so if the stain is from old ink, it might lift right out without much effort.  Goodness knows there are bank note washing experts who do this sort of stuff all the time, particularly in BC and Quebec.  However, washing a note will likewise leave evidence of tampering, though many collectors can't tell the different between original and washed notes, and the act of washing could have a side benefit of improving the overall appearance of your note.  Whatever you decide to do, just don't blame me if things go wrong  ;)  There's no sympathy for anyone who tries to wash/press/trim a note when things go wrong.

No hay banda  

Login with username, password and session length