Author
Topic: High Low List Updates  (Read 6039 times)
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« on: July 08, 2005, 07:39:13 am »

As there appears to be a lack of effort in maintaining the High/Low list, I shall join the other members whom have stopped contributing for that reason.
JWS

As you can see above, there has been a complaint about the "lack of effort in maintaining the High/Low list."

This comes as a surprise to me because it is the first I've heard of it in recent history.

Martin, Mike_L and Russ are the moderators responsible for maintaining the lists. From what I understand, Russ is having significant troubles even accessing the forums. This is why we have asked Mike_L to take on the forums Russ was managing. The most active forums, the $5, $10 and $20, are managed by Martin, and Mike_L helps with the $5. To the best of my knowledge, all are updated on a best-effort, as frequent as possible basis. However, we allow them some leeway in that it cannot be expected that the lists are always completely up to date. People get busy and the lists may be at times several days out of date. I would think though that the lists are generally no more than a day or two behind.

I do notice however, that the $10 and $20 lists have not been updated in over a week currently. I expect that this is because Martin has other committments in his REAL life, but I will wait for his reply to this thread.

If anyone would like to comment further, please reply. The lists only work if people contribute, so if people stop, we want to know why.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Martin
  • Global Moderator
  • CPMS member 1494
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 11:28:25 am »

Sorry for the little delay in updating the lists... I just came back from a business trip. The lists are now up to date, but this afternoon I'm leaving for a few days on a camping trip, so I hope you can wait that long before the lists will be updated again......

copperpete
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1408
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 01:44:30 pm »

I understand that there can be some delay in the updating of the High/Low lists and that doesn't bothers me too much.  I just look at the most recent posts to have an idea of what's new.  

The moderators have a life outside the board and they cannot always keep the pace of the new entrys on high and low serial numbers of each prefixes...They can be unable for any reason to make the updating in due time (they can be sick, have a serious accident, have too much work, have a business trip, take one week of vacation, or simply be a bit tired...) and they are even not bound to give us any reason, they're free to do so....

It's a vacation time and many take one or two weeks in a family trip or make anything to relax and refuel energy and have a good time with their wifes and kids (if they have).  They're not bound for life on this board and to keep them to be "dishearten" to contribute, be comprehensive for these guys who generously give their time to keep this forum alive...and let them relax sometimes.

And this true in any time of the year.

CJ_Sidewall
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005, 02:10:55 pm »

I wouldn't mind helping out with High/Low list maintenance since that is where I post the majority of the time.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 01:44:34 am »

JWS: Since you were the person who originally lodged this complaint, could you please care to elaborate and give us some more information about what is behind it? Perhaps the one-time delay of about a week, plus the average delay of a few days is an insufficient updating schedule? (This is the way it has been for quite some time). Bear in mind that more frequent updates had occurred several times in 2004/5 due to lots of new issues being released (CJ $100s, $50s, $20s, 2005 $10s, etc). Special effort was made to keep up with the tremendous volume of posts being made at the time. This frequency should not be expected on a regular basis. The normal update frequency is about once every 3-4 days.

Unless we can get some more information about your opinion, JWS, the matter will likely be dismissed because, aside from a one-time extended delay, there is no change from the long-term update schedule for the High/Low forums.

We take everyone's comments and complaints seriously, but if people are not willing to participate in the discussion, there's not much we can do for you.

Thanks!

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
JWS
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 12:55:01 pm »

BWJM : On July 7th I made a comment "There appears to be .......". The key word being "appears". This comment was triggered, in part, by the fact that an individual with the initials BWJM had been on the list, as shown at the bottom of the page "Last updated by.....", on July 3rd but had not updated a number of new submissions, including a new Prefix.
You are at liberty to "dismiss" my comment. I have been a "results oriented" individual all my life, and results were obtained. There was even an offer of assistance with the list maintenance, as was the case the previous time this came to a head.
;D JWS  ;D
admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2005, 05:01:38 pm »

Allow me to just review the history on this topic.
  • Originally, we used the forum to track just prefixes, then added H/Ls then added inserts. The tool I used was free, easy for me to use and got updated every week or so. It's not very easy for others to use, and is definately not intended for multiple "editors". Way to easy to screw things up. Did I mention it was free?
  • about two years ago, we tried moving the H/L listings to an more automated database at the www.cdn-money.com site. The idea was to keep the lists updated in "real-time" without "human interaction". While we did some initial work there, we found that it received very little traffic, even after we shut down our "forum-based" stuff. Did I mention that the owner of the site runs his system on a "donations" basis and his system would have been "free".
  • When that didn't work, we re-openned the forum and got some assistance managing the individual denominations (doing all by myself just wasn't working anymore). Several people kindly gave freely of the time.
  • I find, that at age 45, I no longer have the ability to rapidly "learn" new systems and programming tools. To that end I have asked several programmers to review the H/Ls (and the complete site and forum), to see if we can't find a better solution. I expect that these quotes will run in the $1000 range.
  • We'll be looking at the proposals this week and then we'll see if there is enough money behind the need for real-time H/Ls to complete the project.

Here's hoping this will end up as a good working solution.

Just curious though, for the folks who no longer contribute, where exactly do they submit their numbers to now that gives them better results. Maybe I can partner with them on a solution.

I have, in the past, presented the idea of merging this site and the forum, with the CPMS site. Maybe there we could squeeze a bit of money for this project.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2005, 05:09:33 pm by admin »
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2005, 08:21:03 pm »

I wouldn't mind helping out with High/Low list maintenance since that is where I post the majority of the time.
On the unanimous decision by Paul, Tom, myself and several other moderators, I hereby welcome CJ_Sidewall to the team as the moderator in charge of the $10 High/Low forum.

Welcome!

Current Moderators for High/Low forums:

Forum:Moderator: Backup:
$2BWJM n/a
$5Mike_L Martin, CJ_Sidewall
$10CJ_Sidewall Martin, Mike_L
$20Martin Mike_L, CJ_Sidewall
$50Russ Mike_L
$100Russ Mike_L
$1000Russ Mike_L

« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 01:19:01 am by BWJM »

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
JWS
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2005, 04:33:35 pm »

I am indeed pleased to read that the offer of assistance was accepted, this time.
The extra help has to be a relief for all the moderators charged with, what at times must be, an onerous task.
Bravo!
:) JWS  :)
multicolorama
  • Member since January 2007
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 11:39:21 am »

How are members appointed as moderators?

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2007, 05:50:33 pm »

Generally by being picked. Knowing someone personally also helps.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
multicolorama
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2007, 07:46:16 pm »

I noticed that there is no backup moderator for the 2's

multicolorama
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 08:44:04 pm »

If you need a backup for the 2's i wouldnt mind helping since im always on the forum and find low and high 2's.

Login with username, password and session length