Author
Topic: Popularity of the 1937 and 1935 series...  (Read 6483 times)
canadianpaper
« on: October 23, 2006, 09:06:40 pm »

Hi All,

I'm interested in knowing who actively collects the 1935 and 1937 series notes and if so in UNC. I had completed my desired goal of 1937, $1,2,5,10, 20's for both signatures sets in original UNC (exception of Osbornes) and was planning to continue on with the $50 and $100. But at $1000 a pop I wanna make sure that I'm gonna be completely satisfied with the note as an original unc and my desired eye appeal.

Likewise, I decided to continue my collections of $1935 notes (English) in original UNC to the $10 denomination.

SO... I was curious as to who else has collected these series in this grade and or is actively collecting in this grade. Likewise, any experiences and opinions in terms of collecting experience, advice, opinons of future appreciation potential, and insight would be appreciated. All, in all, I'm just curious as to how popular these series are to collect...

Also, if there's anyone that doesn't collect these series for whatever reasons...

Look forward to hearing from all... Cheers
stevepot99
  • Pushing the boundaries
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 09:47:01 pm »

I only pic them up if I get a deal on them for face valued note would not appeal to myself but many people do collect them and will easily pay book for these notes
buxvet
  • Is there anybody in the ceremony is about to begin
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 10:03:44 pm »

The 35's are my favorite
Collecting anything in UNC is tough though
JB-2007
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 10:15:36 pm »

I do have one of each of the lower denominations of the 1935 notes mostly english but the $1 and $25 i have is french. I hope to be adding the $50 soon. I also have each den. of the 1937 series except the $1,000. I am looking mostly for the scarcer changeover prefixes, which i am currently searching for the $10 Z/D issue of gordon-Towers. Is it REALLY that hard to find???
OleDon
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 11:18:28 pm »

The 1935 Issue is THE perennial favouraite of collectors. It is popular and strongly collected in up and down markets ( yes, there were down markets, but not recent memory !).

The colours, English and French Texts, Royalty, a short issue,  $25 notes, QEII as a child on a PINK $20, how much better can it get ? This series has it all.

Replacements and changeover/transition notes are big but nothings beats the 35's for steady growth in collector interest and value.

OleDon
stevepot99
  • Pushing the boundaries
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 01:30:56 am »

as for the Z/D changeover I have only ever seen 2 in the past 2 years (and I have one) I am thinking they are rarer then people think any other Z/D Gordon // Towers changeovers here there was only 500,000 printed
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 01:31:26 am by stevepot99 »
rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS member 1221, ONA life member, CAND President
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 11:43:58 am »

From a dealer point of view, the 1935 issued notes in any decent condition (VF or better) always sell quickly, either at shows or to fill want lists or on eBay. These are always in demand.

Rick
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 01:41:09 pm »

Likewise, I decided to continue my collections of $1935 notes (English) in original UNC to the $10 denomination.

SO... I was curious as to who else has collected these series in this grade and or is actively collecting in this grade

IMO:
This is a very noble goal which I'm sure most members here would probably admire or possibly aspire.  However, the actual likelihood of finding UNC's will cost you plenty (and ain't easy!)  That's because the 1935 short issue are Bank of Canada's first (and very unsuccessful) series, with unconventional colour schemes, a portrait of a prince who went "haywire" for his US flame, and a young princess/queen Elizabeth II who looks like Shirley Temple.  Add to this the two language issues, a $25 commemorative, and super rare $50's, bold/intriguing art work, etc.... all add up to highly desirable notes.  

It may not be the most popular series to collect (I believe a poll suggested the multi-colored issue-- but I suspect 1954) due to the steep prices,  but whoever does collect them are all mostly serious collectors, and will seriously depart with some large coin to get what they desire.  This readily makes up for the number of collectors who don't collect them.

I would surely love to be in your "camp" but I will "settle" for any 35 in VF and up. My goal is to have a broad collection so I just can't afford to part with what I have to fill the gaps (eventually though!)

The most avid collectors of 1937 are usually the "Ozzy Osborne" collectors like "Buxvet" and a few others here.  Short prefixes (eg: Z/D) are very popular (and hard to come by) as mentioned by "JB-2006/Stevepot."  

As far as future potential:  I'd say stick with the 1935 (in uppper grades-- UNC if you can manage), and 37 short prefixes/ or Osborne signatures.  The UNC (of any signature/prefix) will hold their own...but not increase like the previously mentioned rarities since there seems to be no end in demand for them.

Mikeysonfire
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 02:41:59 pm »

My Favourite series is the 1937s. I will be trying to get all the different $1 prefixs from 1937 after I am done collecting the signatures that am doing now. It will be hard and a lot of money to collect  all of them in UNC. If thats what you want the most then I say do it!
canadianpaper
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006, 03:43:25 am »

That's great feedback - good to know I'm not alone...lol...

Another question I have - that is related to my interest in collecting these notes is the general observations of the paper qualities of original condition notes of these series.

My concern revolves being able to identify and therefore justifyingly paying for notes of original UNC quality.

What do you all look for in terms of originality and original (unpressed, untrimmed, and un.cleaned) notes...

For myself, for the 1937 series, I like to see some light consistent texturing in the paper, I find the size of these notes are fairly consistent and therefore trimmed notes are fairly easy to identify, additionally, I look for strong embossing and texture in the design, a strong tactile feel for the design is desirable, and lastly, I find a original note has an "aged" paper smell... kinda like an old newspaper...lol...

I look for much the same in the 1935 series, but I have also observed sometimes an inconsistency with the fibres in the paper... almost a slight veininess with the paper quality from time to time...

Although, these are qualities one could generalize in identifying UNC notes in general - I was again interested in sharing others opinons and observations when looking for "originality" of paper quality in these notes...

Again, all opinions are appreciated and welcomed!

standeasy
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2006, 03:42:41 pm »

You did mention about appreciation potential of the 1935 series and I can personally relate to you from my own collecting history. I purchased my first set of 1935 English text series notes which consisted of the $1,2,5 10 ,20 25 in uncirculated condition for the princely sum of $450.00.Which I sold in later years for a profit of about $800.00 My second set came along and it consisted of the same denominations as my first set, it cost me about $1,300.00 and I sold it in an auction years later for a healthy return. I guess my point is that the 1935 series will always be a worthy and beautiful set to own  and you will not need to worry about it losing it's value it's desirability to collectors. As a note collector I have been doing this since 1964.

CPMS# 557
justeo
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2006, 10:18:24 pm »

$450 for the $1-$25 1935 set in 1964 and $29,300 at the current catalogue means 10% compound increase over 42 years. Add that to 42 years of enjoyment of ownership and you have the best of both worlds. :)

justeo
canadianpaper
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2006, 01:29:01 am »

Standeasy

lol... i'm not sure if I should be greatful or jealous of your insight...lol...

so I think I'll be both... thats a great story... btw the way... i just added an UNC 1935 $5! looks nice along with the $1 and $2 I own...lol... slowing climbing up the ladder...

btw... just to see an UNC $20 or $25 in this series would be fantastic... congrats on having owned those notes!

Login with username, password and session length