Author
Topic: Question re:Olmstead Currency  (Read 7203 times)
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« on: March 18, 2007, 05:46:11 pm »

First day here and a new collector.  I just received a catalogue from a friend that attended Torex in Toronto.  It was from a dealer in NB. called Olmstead Currency. There are alot of notes in all grades as well as PMG graded notes.  Can anyone tell me if they have dealt with this dealer and is he ruputable.
I guess the real question is does this place grade their notes well.  Also any views on premiums for PMG graded notes.

Thanks for any help in getting started

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
polarbear
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 06:07:36 pm »

Welcome to the forum.

I have purchased from Don before and he is very trustworthy.  If I had a problem with a note, he refunded immediately.  HOpe  this helps

Cheers

Polarbear
Archey80
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 06:14:57 pm »

Welcome friedsquid

O Yea Don is one of the best paper money dealers I have dealt with.

As to the views on premiums for PMG graded notes you could read up on this it has been a red hot topic over the past few months...

http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1161224236/0

Arthur

CPMS Member 1564
rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS member 1221, ONA life member, CAND President
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 07:33:11 pm »

A professional plug for Don Olmstead.
He is one of the better paper dealers in the country, and a decent coin dealer as well. Don has attended Torex for years, and has offered some good information to catalogues. He is a member of the Canadian Association of Numismatic Dealers (one of few paper dealers). He is absolutely professional in his dealings. I am very happy to have him as a member.

Rick Simpson
Mikeysonfire
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 10:12:57 pm »

I only done one trade with Don Olmstead and am very happy with it.  Will buy again from him if he has a note I want.
paperchase
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 11:35:40 pm »

I too will vouch for Don, very knowledgable and fair. One of the few dealers whose grading I trust sight unseen. I've purchased a couple of PMG graded notes (on Ebay) and I would prefer a note graded by Don versus a PMG graded note any day.
Rob
JB-2007
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 12:41:22 am »

Have purchased many notes from him, he is usually at nuphilex and has lots of great stuff!  :)
actuary6
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 11:09:24 am »

Don Olmstead is my favourite dealer!  I've only dealt with him at the shows, but he has always taken the time to help me even though I never purchase the big $ notes.  I trust his grading and he always cuts me a deal without me having to bargain!

Brad
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
  • Been There, Done That.... Wanna do it again?
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 02:22:09 pm »

Don is a good dealer and a nice guy. Unfortunately at the show he did not cut me a deal on a couple nice notes I was serious about buying...  :(  ;)

Sorry Ladies...I am now a Married Man!!!
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 05:35:35 pm »

I've had many dealings with Don... and agree with all the +ve feedback.  I think most serious collectors consider him one of the top dealers in paper (if not THE top dealer) in Canada.  Don has a great memory.  If he's given you a few breaks than its only natural that he will draw the line (unless its something pretty common that he'd  be glad to move). After many dealings (and many fair prices/breaks) I only haggle a little (naturally it depends).  Don't expect top $ for trades but he'll be fair.

He is fairly accurate (and thorough) in his gradings, though he would never claim to be infallable.  

I would stay away from PMG graded notes unless you can inspect it yourself and its something you've been searching for, scarce, and you know you might not get another chance to buy it.  From most of the feedback re: PMG (and TPG (third party graded) notes in general) - they're over-graded by 10-20 pts or a half grade compared to Canadian standards, with a 10 to 30% mark up.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 05:37:32 pm by walktothewater »

twoinvallarta
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 05:56:50 pm »

I've also had many dealings with Don.I call him the  "Don" of papermoney,sorta a take off on the godfather if you will.
He has always been fair,honest,and he stands behind his grades.With a great reputation,as you can see here,his name means a lot to him.

As for discounts,with the market this hot,and notes that have some rarity and originality being snapped up,you'd do well to accept his pricing most times.Don is not a price gouger,and stands behind his word.That's money in the bank.And unfortunately,like most of us,you'll learn the hard way that is worth a lot in collecting.

Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2007, 06:02:49 pm »

I recall dealing with Mr. Olmstead as both a buyer and a seller at MONEX, TOREX and other shows as far back as 1980 and, more recently, at NUPHILEX shows. He's always in a cheerful mood, always gives you the time of day and makes you feel comfortable, always quotes a fair price when you're buying and always makes a generous cash-accompanied offer when you're selling. What more could one ask for? There are other excellent paper money dealers too ...... but they are few and far between.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 06:04:10 pm by Ottawa »

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).

Login with username, password and session length