Author
Topic: BOC wasteful.  (Read 5410 times)
d_polo
  • Paper Money is art!
« on: May 31, 2007, 10:41:36 am »

There were many times that the BOC ordered large number of notes printed up, only to be mostly unissued and destroyed. I.E. the 1954 Lawson/Bauey $50 notes, they printed a large amount, only released a small amount into circulation, then destroyed the rest because they released the 1975 Mountie $50s. Why not just release both the 1954 $50s and the new 50s? At the time during the 1970s, both the 1954 and multicolored series were in circulation. So instead of just burning all those newly printed 1954 stock, just release them into circulation until they wear out. Also I don't think counterfeiting was a big a problem as today, so they still had good security features. Also the 1954 $1000 T/C signatures, as somebody pointed out, they printed 240,000 notes, released a few, then trashed the rest to release the bird series $1000s. Again, why not just release the two side by side. Why would they print so many T/C 1954 $1000s if they knew the bird series would be out soon?
rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS member 1221, ONA life member, CAND President
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 12:36:33 pm »

All government agencies are wastful, of our money. B of C is no exception.

Rick
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
  • Been There, Done That.... Wanna do it again?
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 12:58:32 pm »

All government agencies are wastful, of our money. B of C is no exception.

I Second That!!!

Sorry Ladies...I am now a Married Man!!!
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 01:08:04 pm »

Re: Burning notes.

The BoC no longer burns notes, due to all the toxins etc...

They BURY them. (I have an inside source  ;))

Makes me wonder about wearing rubber gloves when handling bricks and bricks of new money.

If I get some kind of related disease, then you heard it here first! :P

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
  • CNA Member 21689 and CPMS Life Member 100
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 01:38:08 pm »

Gives new meaning to "buried treasure".

Huds, if you have the treasure map, I can provide the shovels and manpower.  ;D

Arthur Richards
Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009
Kelly b.
  • CPMS #1356
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 03:30:57 pm »

Actually Mr. d Polo, from what I have read, counterfeiting was a very big problem and the BoC wanted to get the new designs into circulation as quickly as possible.

There is a thin line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.
hanmer
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 03:42:17 pm »

Could you imagine finding that trove!!!!! As they say, our tax dollars at work.

:)

:)
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 05:10:34 pm »

I would expect that the notes are shredded before being buried.   :P

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 06:15:41 pm »

They BURY them. (I have an inside source  )
Makes me wonder about wearing rubber gloves when handling bricks and bricks of new money.
If I get some kind of related disease, then you heard it here first!

An  enviromental government ageny recently discloses a photochromic ink for reversible printing will be now used in the printing of all Canadian banknotes. This ink comprises a polymer binder, a liquid phase and a photochromic compound protected against oxygen by a polymer composition. This ink can be used for printing banknotes, cheques, travellers cheques, stamps, passports or aircraft or ship tickets or any similar document for which it is necessary to take anti-counterfeiting measures. However due to past printing techniques a reported 300 employees of the BABN have been reporting side effects from handling large amounts of currency prior to a 24 hour ink dry time.  It has been confirmed that individuals handling currency on a daily basis be tested immediately and a tox screen done.
The ink composition comprises a 1,2-dihydroquinoline (DHQ) solution in a polymer solution. The irreversible marking is obtained after irradiation under ultraviolet light. Hudson I have a box of gloves I can sell you at a good price

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 07:37:12 pm »

They BURY them. (I have an inside source  ;))

If I get some kind of related disease, then you heard it here first! :P
RIP Birds Series - the ugliest series ever.  These notes should have been shredded, cremated AND buried by the B of C!!

copperpete
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1408
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 07:22:23 am »

Is this new ink used on the Journey's serie notes?  if so, how this ink looks like?  Do you know if its visible, or only under UV light? 

Beside that, I don't understand the problem about incinerating notes, it's a common way to destroy much more harmful chemicals (as PCBs, pesticides and chlorinated solvents).  You just use an higher temperature, as in a cement kiln.  Unless the BoC officials considers our notes more toxic than PCBs... ;) :-\

Burying is the worst method to eliminate toxic (or considered toxic) compounds...Soon or later, these compounds will go into underground waters and in the rivers. :-\
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 11:50:43 pm by copperpete »

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2007, 07:08:50 am »

Why not just release both the 1954 $50s and the new 50s? At the time during the 1970s, both the 1954 and multicolored series were in circulation. So instead of just burning all those newly printed 1954 stock, just release them into circulation until they wear out.

Historically, new Canadians carved this country out of the bush.  Potash (burnt scrub, trees, etc) was a huge industry in Upper Canada (Ontario).  As a nation built on enormous natural resources-- including paper, conservation would be the last thing on the minds of BOC officials (during the those decades 50-70).

However, we do know that test notes were tried (for improved inks/paper durability), and "good-overs" or previously signaturized notes with later prefixes (eg $10 L/B EET) were used...so it is likely that some steps towards conservation were put in place.

Also I don't think counterfeiting was a big a problem as today, so they still had good security features.

Security of Canada's currency has always been a concern so that a new series tends to correlate with counterfeiting reaching an unacceptable rate.  The destruction of X number of notes would seem to be a small price to pay in order to keep fakes from being passed.   Most businesses would agree. 

Login with username, password and session length