Author
Topic: Bricks.  (Read 6043 times)
Deehong
« on: November 07, 2008, 02:27:17 pm »

Where do i go to get Bricks of BILLS? I won't mind Brick Searching but where could i get my hands on those BRICKS?
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 02:49:47 pm »

Where do i go to get Bricks of BILLS? I won't mind Brick Searching but where could i get my hands on those BRICKS?
From a Bank ;D

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Deehong
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 09:38:39 am »

From a Bank ;D

So i could just go to CIBC and ask for a brick of 5$ /10$ or 20$? i remember asking for 50 sheets of 10$ bils but their like i can only give you 10:( do royal bank allow us to exchange in bulks ( several bricks)?
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 10:23:10 am »

So i could just go to CIBC and ask for a brick of 5$ /10$ or 20$? i remember asking for 50 sheets of 10$ bils but their like i can only give you 10:( do royal bank allow us to exchange in bulks ( several bricks)?

Just ask and see what they say.
And make sure you have the money ;D

Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 11:52:07 am »

Sounds like you should purchase a Charlton catalogue first to learn what you will be looking for such as radars, ladders, low numbers repeaters, birthday notes and inserts.

I think forum member BWJM might have one available.

Gary_T
Deehong
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 12:15:49 pm »

Sounds like you should purchase a Charlton catalogue first to learn what you will be looking for such as radars, ladders, low numbers repeaters, birthday notes and inserts.

I think forum member BWJM might have one available.

Ohh i'll be looking though the common ones such as radars accending/deccending laddar etc. I kinda have a good idea what's good but um... it's gonna be weird if i go to the bank at my university and ask for 2500$ of 5$ bills and deposit it back the next day :S
Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 12:31:06 pm »

Well at least look through the posts and a brick is 1000 notes so $5,000.

You could let a very valuable insert note slip through your hands and not know it until later when you learn from reading through the posts or looking at a Charlton.

Gary_T
Deehong
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 01:32:32 pm »

Well at least look through the posts and a brick is 1000 notes so $5,000.

You could let a very valuable insert note slip through your hands and not know it until later when you learn from reading through the posts or looking at a Charlton.

Ohh really? I miss understood it. So If i do get a brick and search it, technically by chance i'm able to get 1 radar right? since out of 1million notes there's 1000 radars and the ratio is 1 in 1000, But for sure i'll get a copy of that book before  brick searching. Thanks for the advice :D
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 01:43:14 pm »

Ohh really? I miss understood it. So If i do get a brick and search it, technically by chance i'm able to get 1 radar right? since out of 1million notes there's 1000 radars and the ratio is 1 in 1000, But for sure i'll get a copy of that book before  brick searching. Thanks for the advice
In most cases you will find atleast a radar and a repeater per brick provided that they have not been replaced by an insert note. Even then, depending where they are in the brick, they may still not be choice unc notes.
Depending on what the bank is charging you on top of the actual face value of the brick of fives (5K) even finding a radar and repeater is not worth the cost since most radars/repeaters do not have a great market right now.
friedsquid

Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 01:44:02 pm »

Correct. Chances are you would get a radar but there is also a chance getting one of those mixed bricks where the brick that has been cobbled together from incomplete bricks from production. You might get zero, or even more than one radar. 

Just to give you a head start, here's a few links on the Bricks subject if you haven't found them yet;

http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/forum/index.php?topic=7324.0

http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/forum/index.php?topic=7306.0

http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/forum/index.php?topic=5109.0

http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/forum/index.php?topic=5215.0

Also read the Inserts & Replacements posts and it shows some of the results of Brick searching.  Though there seems to be a lack of reporting lately.

Good luck with Brick searching

Dei Gratia
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 01:46:07 pm by Punkys Dad »

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 01:51:15 pm »

Correct. Chances are you would get a radar but there is also a chance getting one of those mixed bricks where the brick that has been cobbled together from incomplete bricks from production. You might get zero, or even more than one radar. 

I try to forget about those bricks :'(

Deehong
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2008, 02:36:43 pm »

I missed living at home DOWNTOWN TORONTO!!! There's like 10 banks within 5 blocks of where i live, North East South WEST and more if i go further. What i use to do is Search Coins Similar to brick search as a kid, i was get 10 rolls of pennies, dimes, nickles and quarters then bring them home and look through for old dates ( that's i use to collect coins :( Stupid way eh? but i got them all from face value, My best finding was 1923 penny which from some book it was quoted 23$ for the worst condition)  But after searching through them i would go to my own bank and deposit it. Then the cycles begins again. Done this for a couple years end up with a lot of great coins. i was really excited in finding American quarters since it was worth 65% more than Canadians back then LOL . That's my story, Which i think is similar to brick search. But not quite.

DeeHong
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 04:12:52 pm »

Ohh i'll be looking though the common ones such as radars accending/deccending laddar etc. I kinda have a good idea what's good but um... it's gonna be weird if i go to the bank at my university and ask for 2500$ of 5$ bills and deposit it back the next day :S

By the way, the CIBC at UW is accustomed to these sorts of requests, (or at least they were a few years ago when my friend and I were active there) but no bank really likes getting a whole stack of new notes back in a deposit. If you take them from the bank at the university, deposit them at a different bank. The other thing to keep in mind is to not go during busy times. Quite often, they have a lineup into the hallway, so find a time when there's only a couple people waiting, tops.

On Tuesday night, assuming you don't have a night class, come out to the Waterloo Coin Society meeting. PM me for details. It's not too far from UW - You can take a bus or ride your bike. GRT route 9 from UW will take you right there.

BTW: Get a Charlton book... It's the bible when it comes to this stuff. I've got some extras and you can have one for $15. No shipping at all if you come on Tuesday night.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 04:16:43 pm by BWJM »

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.

Login with username, password and session length