Author
Topic: $20, worth anything.  (Read 4533 times)
projects
« on: December 18, 2008, 08:41:54 pm »

this $20 note has been rejected by a store cashier. Said somthing wrong with it. I compare to the others. Figure out, the only different is that the lower left corner miss some paints which looks like happened in the middle of printing procedure. Worth anything? thank you.

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 09:42:29 pm »

If I were that cashier, I would have happily accepted the note and exchanged it for one from my wallet.

Despite its obvious circulated condition (tear bottom centre), I would suggest it has a value of approximately $50.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
projects
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 12:06:23 pm »

Sounds good. thank you. Any more suggestion?

I verified it with a bank, they said it's a real money. Also I compared it to lots 20 notes yesterday, it does has all the security futures, the 'bank of canada'(embossed), micro print and the holograph are above the miss print area, I don't know if there's a way to remove ink from note, but there is no sign been altered, also won't be possible to make such perfect job. The only problem is that is a circulated note, but I don't know how to evaluate the condition.

BTW, the SN of the note is: ARA4537124 print in 2007, I'm in Toronto. There're should have some others available, but this looks the first one found. I googled, no other similar, no book value right now.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 12:11:56 pm by projects »
projects
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 09:32:50 am »

I did carefully check the note,  the mid bottom is not a tear, just some color on a crease. Also I did a quick study about IBNS standards, I'd like it goes to F-VF, VF may be more properly. 
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 09:37:08 am by projects »
Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 11:21:28 am »

This looks like an obstruction type error. I'd say a fold over error where the paper is folded over and cut and the first printing layer is applied then as it moves down the line to get the second layer of printing the small flap of paper was torn off. This is also known as a butterfly error.

I'm sure someone here has a good example of this error.

Here is a scan I found of a butterfly error.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Gary_T

Login with username, password and session length