Author
Topic: 1897 $2 - Grade?  (Read 4195 times)
EyeTradeMoney
« on: February 23, 2009, 11:19:22 am »

PM me your opinion, thanks.

Australia
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 06:02:18 pm »

Looks VG or maybe an about Fine really hard to tell with out seeing it in person.

Ironically I had one of these in about 1987 which I bought off of RD Lockwood at his store on Young Street in Toronto - the original 'Arcade Coins'.  He had graded it a G/VG (I bought it for $65) it looked identical to this note (maybe even the same one I can't remember).  I though it was under-graded when I bought it and thought it was an excellent deal. 

I sold it at a Torex auction in about 1990 ( I think for $90) and Dick bought it back and put in his mailing listed it as an 'about fine'  - so there you go.   
EyeTradeMoney
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 11:47:53 pm »

Like I said before, these notes that post in here are not for sale. They will sit in my closet for 20+ years until my kids get to college (at least). G/VG are you kidding me? This note has no tear, no pinhole, no parts missing and sharp corners. Barely any color being worn.

If you can find a note like that on eBay or whatever for $400, then please, let me know and I'll give you mine for free.

I grade it F+ (catalog around $1400).... some (Americans) may grade it VF.
Australia
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 02:22:59 am »

Sorry EyeTradeMoney... I did not mean to offend.  I'm sure the scan does not do the note justice.

Back to my previous post, I did not say I though the it was a G/VG, the dealer was selling it as G/VG that's why I said "I though it was under-graded when I bought it and thought it was an excellent deal".  Compare to other dealers Dick Lockwood's (Arcade Coins in Toronto - who retire and past away several years ago) grading was one of the best I've ever seen so even at 'about fine' it was probably under-graded compared to most dealers.

Take note of the pricing I mentioned this was the late-1980s.  Charlton pricing actually went DOWN in their catalogue during the recession of 1990-91 (and with most dealers).

As for the Ebay, I've never bought anything off of Ebay precisely for that reason that most of it appears to be rubbish or incredibly over-graded (only my opinion of course compared to grading pre-ebay).  Anything I've bought by mail and not in person have been notes from Lockwood or Don Olmstead and have always been very satisfied.

I would strongly suggest you hold on to your Dominon of Canada notes, my investment in these notes have proven a lot better rate of return than my mutual funds or my super annuation fund here (Australia).

Out of curiosity what was the dealer grade on it when you purchased it or was it just priced?
EyeTradeMoney
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 06:41:17 am »

Fine+
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 08:17:30 am »

The paper fabric looks like a solid F-VF to me but based on what is visible, or is not visible, in the scan I would suggest that it has been pressed because I don't see any of the natural three-dimensionality that would be expected on a circulated folded note (raised fold lines, wrinkles, counting creases, etc.). However, I realize that scans can sometimes be deceptive.

In my book, and I'm not talking about this note in particular, pressing is "the kiss of death". I avoid pressed notes like the plague although sometimes we don't have a choice. A pressed note, and especially a heavily washed & pressed limp lifeless note, is akin to a coin that has been harshly cleaned with an abrasive substance or steel wool, but that's only my personal opinion.

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
EyeTradeMoney
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 04:15:39 pm »

What about now? The note does have a pressed look to it. But all in all to make it more appealing as the colors are bright, the paper is crisp and the corners and edges are sharp.

An 1897 note in that grade is not common.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 04:27:47 pm by BWJM »

Login with username, password and session length