Author
Topic: What is die axis on coins  (Read 9983 times)
polarbear
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Paper Money is Art!
« on: July 03, 2006, 08:27:29 pm »

Hi I know this has nothing to do with paper money but I was noticed that some 1992 Quarters had variety die axis.  Can anyone tell me what that means.    They were found in NWT and New Brunswick

Didn't know where to ask this question.

Thanks

polarbear
Fenian
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Budding error and variety collector!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 08:41:05 pm »

Coin axes are, esentially, medal and coinage alignments. Canadian coinage has medal alignment, which is to say, you can spin the coin from reverse to obverse and the design will stay right-side up. American coins have a coinage alignment, which requires you to flip the coin as you spin it to keep the design right-side up. The NWT and New Brunswick 25 cent varieties involve 90 degree die rotations for one type, and coinage axis for the others. There are some interesting theories about how these particualr coins came about, seeing how the RCM was on strike at the time... My favourite is the theory that the coins were struck in Philadelphia(!), where coinage axis would be natural...

Hope this helps!  8-)

Fenian

PS A fantastic site for canadian coinage reference is http://www.canadiancoin.com ... It is the CPMF for coins!

Error, Variety, and Special Serial Number collector
CPMS #1645
RCNA #22496
polarbear
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 08:57:40 pm »

Thanks Fenian.  
rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS member 1221, ONA life member, CAND President
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 09:13:59 pm »

Well described. If done in a paper money sense, then Canadian notes are medal axis. If the reverse was printed upside down, it would be coinage axis. Such an error would be a wonder, and would sell for decent bucks.  

All a $10 note is 10 loonies, with less weight and poorer wear characteristics. Never expected a coin question on the paper money site.

Rick
polarbear
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 09:26:20 pm »

One thing I noticed was alot of the paper money collectors are also coin collectors.  How nice we can discuss the beauty of money with other people.

Polarbear
rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 11:54:46 pm »

Polarbear: Paper is just a part of numismatics. There are people who collect (and deal in) virtually anything. A friend of mine collected beer cans (but would not drink the stuff). He had 400+ different cans, all empty, from all over the world. Another guy collected match books, and had several thousand different. In numismatics, coins are #1, followed by paper, tokens, military medals. Trends spends a lot of time on modern mint products and too little on paper, something I hope to correct in the future. A poor relative is stamps. It is hard to convince people that stamps are made to be used for mailing stuff, and have no face value.

Rick
polarbear
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 01:55:47 am »

Thanks for the clarification Rick

Cheers

Polarbear :)
rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006, 10:31:01 pm »

Numismatic collectors most often start with coins, and then specialize into a field they find most interesting.  Paper, tokens, or particular coins of certain countries is often how they end up. There are some paper people who have little interest outside of paper, same goes for all aspects of collecting. You have got to watch a token collector going through the hundreds of old worn out bronze discs to see if he has that one.  Several of the paper collectors on this site are also well known for their coins.

Rick
rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2006, 11:22:22 pm »

Paper money collectors are just a part of numismatics. Numismatics include coins, tokens, paper money, Canadian Tire Money and whole host of related items. I attempt to cover it all, run shows, do trends etc. Paper money collectors need to learn how to grade, view and handle notes so as not to cause damage. Fondling of anyones notes need to be done with great respect, in particular when they want to pull them from the holders and breathe all over them. It is becoming more difficult as more notes are in third party graded holders.

Rick

Login with username, password and session length