Author
Topic: 5x8 Uncut two dollar sheet - Canadian - no serial #'s  (Read 21664 times)
bobsuruncle
« on: April 18, 2011, 10:45:34 pm »

We purchased this around 1993/94 - is there any value to this?
coinsoldier
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 07:23:24 pm »

Can you post a scan? I have some good resources for valuing Canada banknotes, but I need to know exactly what you have there.
Aubrey993
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 11:21:28 pm »

Assuming these are the 1986 "Bird" two dollar sheets, then there should be a prefix and serial number on each note.  Also, check the signatures.

The sheets range in value from approx. $100 to $3,400.
coinsoldier
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 10:21:00 pm »

We purchased this around 1993/94 - is there any value to this?

Most of those sheets are in the lower value range from $100 to $300, but there are some exceptions that run much higher.
I could help you with a value if I had all the detals.
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 12:57:21 am »

The original post was made nearly a month ago, and it's the only post made by the person, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the details.  I would love to know how the sheet is missing the serial numbers.  But, of course, so many of the most interesting items discussed on this board don't have pictures!

No hay banda  
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 10:36:29 pm »

These sheets were cut into mini shetes of 2 notes (one note above the other). The mini sheets of 2 notes were placed in a souvenir folder and the folder had "SPECIMEN" stamped on it.

Do you have a scan of these...I have never seen them?

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
coinsoldier
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 10:33:58 pm »

Give me your email address and I will send you a scan of the notes and the folder.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 09:01:32 pm »

Give me your email address and I will send you a scan of the notes and the folder.

sent you my email...still no scan  :'(

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 10:28:04 pm »

It's kind of a shame that the same level of interest in this thread was lacking when the newbie made his original post.  :-[

No hay banda  
bobsuruncle
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 07:53:57 am »

Thank you for the responses - will post the scan later on today (due to unforeseen circumstances was not around past couple of weeks).
bobsuruncle
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 09:47:33 am »

The only explanation for no serial numbers is that in 1986 there were sheets of those notes printed withoutout serial numbers. These sheets were cut into mini shetes of 2 notes (one note above the other). The mini sheets of 2 notes were placed in a souvenir folder and the folder had "SPECIMEN" stamped on it. I have one of those folders with the minisheet of 2 notes inside it and those notes do not have any serial numbers. Maybe the 5x8 sheet that bobsuruncle has is from that printing.

The sheet I have is from around 1995/97 - it is a complete sheet of $2.00 bills uncut without any serial #'s
will get the pic today.......thx
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 09:31:33 pm »

The sheet I have is from around 1995/97 - it is a complete sheet of $2.00 bills uncut without any serial #'s
will get the pic today.......thx
  ????

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 02:41:47 pm »

Breathe, Squid, breathe... I told you not to hold your breath, didn't I?  O:-)

No hay banda  
bobsuruncle
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2011, 10:57:47 pm »

Posted the pic several times - but does not show up? :-[
Any suggestions?

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 12:01:17 am »

But those are only the fronts.  The serial numbers are on the backs of the notes.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2011, 12:15:35 am »

The notes are in a frame, can't see the backs, but rest assured, there are numbers on the back of the sheet, and opening the frame could ruin it.  OK, the value is not much more than face value (despite claims by the catalogue).  The frame actually brings down the value if selling online because the postage cost would be much higher than rolling up the sheet and putting it in a mailing tube.

No hay banda  
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2011, 06:47:05 am »

The notes are in a frame, can't see the backs, but rest assured, there are numbers on the back of the sheet, and opening the frame could ruin it. 

but you never really know , do you  :) Open the frame just to make sure ;D
I've been holding my breath so long  :D  Please open the frame  :'(

bobsuruncle
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011, 10:02:41 am »

The notes are in a frame, can't see the backs, but rest assured, there are numbers on the back of the sheet, and opening the frame could ruin it.  OK, the value is not much more than face value (despite claims by the catalogue).  The frame actually brings down the value if selling online because the postage cost would be much higher than rolling up the sheet and putting it in a mailing tube.

Thank you for your responses - much appreciated
Yes, the notes are in a frame - I believe we paid more for the framing than the sheet at the time  :-[
At this time I will not open it - as I do not want to ruin it - just in case there is further value to it at a later date ;)
coinsoldier
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2011, 11:18:53 am »

All this time an we are still in suspense. I would not take a chance on those without seeiing the backs of the sheet.
I agree that the value is face value plus maybe 20%
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 11:20:33 am by coinsoldier »
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2011, 02:30:02 pm »

the value is not much more than face value (despite claims by the catalogue).  The frame actually brings down the value if selling online because

-the notes could also be faded by the sunlight.  Typically, notes displayed in this way, often have a faded front and more vibrant back design (if the frame is taken apart) so many collectors avoid them.  Actually, collectors often avoid them (sheets rolled into a mailing tube) just because they're hard to store and not really made to preserve like the other parts of his/her collection (I believe).   I've seen the same dealers stuck with tubes for years now.

So "Bob" you have to take our opinions with a grain of salt and realize we're a little on the skeptical side (esp re: "book value.")  O:-)

However, the aesthetic value of this framed sheet of $2.00 would be much higher to someone who's not a collector and just likes the way they look displayed on the wall (perhaps downstairs out of the light!) 8)

bobsuruncle
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2011, 03:58:10 pm »

-the notes could also be faded by the sunlight.  Typically, notes displayed in this way, often have a faded front and more vibrant back design (if the frame is taken apart) so many collectors avoid them.  Actually, collectors often avoid them (sheets rolled into a mailing tube) just because they're hard to store and not really made to preserve like the other parts of his/her collection (I believe).   I've seen the same dealers stuck with tubes for years now.

So "Bob" you have to take our opinions with a grain of salt and realize we're a little on the skeptical side (esp re: "book value.")  O:-)

However, the aesthetic value of this framed sheet of $2.00 would be much higher to someone who's not a collector and just likes the way they look displayed on the wall (perhaps downstairs out of the light!) 8)

I am very tempted to open this and not be in suspense any longer (nor to keep any of you waiting either)
But since you have mentioned that being displayed in such a manner (frame) they might not have been preserved as they would have in a tube :'(
They have not been displayed for the last 5/7 yrs - packed and stored in basement :-[

But will look into adding to this collection (if you can call it that) and looking for further advice from this forum.

Regards
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2011, 04:48:42 pm »

They have not been displayed for the last 5/7 yrs - packed and stored in basement
The more you tell us... the more the price drops :)
In most cases storing banknotes in a humid or damp environment like a basement can usually create a number of issues...one being mould which you can smell on a banknote. In fact, it is possible that the paper and/or cardboard backing of a frame can be contaminated as well...Hopefully they were dry, and in a place where there was a dehumidifier present.....

coinsoldier
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2011, 11:43:48 pm »

From everything that I have read here on this subject, these particular banknotes are only worth face value to someone wanting to cash them in.
rarecoins2001
    • One coin per country collectors group
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2011, 08:54:09 am »

They are worth $120 to $150 for the sheet.  They are only worth face if some of these guys are buying them.

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2011, 09:53:15 am »

They are worth $120 to $150 for the sheet.  They are only worth face if some of these guys are buying them.

Personally I have no interest or desire to buy this sheet even if it were for sale ...
however assuming that these are B/T reg prefix notes the cat values are from
$105 in AU to the max of $125 in Gem.  Are you saying that these notes are valued at more than catalogue value? Or are you including the price of the frame?

rarecoins2001
    • One coin per country collectors group
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2011, 11:58:44 am »

I am saying that the sheets are being offered online for a buy it now for $169 but since they are still available I knocked some money off the price.  The frames add $50 to the price because it would cost you at least that to get them framed.  I got mine framed with acid free backing and the extra one I sold to a flea market dealer for $170 10 years ago.

coinsoldier
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2011, 01:11:32 pm »

This sheet of 40 notes would be worth maximum of $125.00 if they were in original Gem condition and kept in the original mailing tube in a climate controlled area (low humidity). Since they have been framed, the value of the sheet of notes actually dropped. The light through the glass has likely caused some fading of the front of the notes that were visible. These were stored for years in a basement which is another big negative. My valualtion is based on the actual sheet of 40 notes (NOT THE FRAME). The frame is a separate item with a separate value. As a collector, I am focusing on the notes only, which probably have very little collector value for most collectors for the reasons above. If you like the notes framed on the wall like a picture, you pay what you think that is worth to you personally. Most serious collectors would consider that the framing of this sheet of notes has taken away the collector value of this sheet. Being quite honest, if I found such a sheet in gem uncirculated condition in the original tube, I would pay between $120.00 and $140.00 for it. However, I would have no interest in purchasing this sheet inside the frame. If it was taken out of teh frame, I would consider paying $80.00 (face value) for it.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 01:14:32 pm by coinsoldier »
coinsoldier
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2011, 01:19:54 pm »

I am saying that the sheets are being offered online for a buy it now for $169 but since they are still available I knocked some money off the price.  The frames add $50 to the price because it would cost you at least that to get them framed.  I got mine framed with acid free backing and the extra one I sold to a flea market dealer for $170 10 years ago.

You did very good getting $170.00 for it.
The flee market guy probably did not do so well.
He may still have it.
bobsuruncle
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2011, 09:49:13 pm »

Just to keep everyone updated -
These were framed with acid free backing - there is no dampness in the basement -
Frame and notes are in excellent condition!  IMHO
But to a serious collector they might not be -
Learning from this forum for any future additions to this.
Maybe in another 20/30 yrs they might double in value (even triple)!

Regards.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2011, 06:18:40 am »

Maybe in another 20/30 yrs they might double in value (even triple)!

Even if they do double in the next 20-30 years you will actually have less for them then, than you can get for them now :(

Login with username, password and session length