Author
Topic: ONE-SIDED 1937 "ERROR" NOTES --- BEWARE!!  (Read 4219 times)
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« on: October 07, 2006, 08:59:40 am »

A note listed as a "One sided 1937 $1 error?" closed on eBay on Sept. 23, 2006. It was described as being "in poor shape and very thin". It sold for US$1.64 plus shipping.

I would like to warn members about these one-sided "error" notes. I know someone from Montreal who has discovered a way to separate 1937 notes into two separate parts, i.e. a one-sided front and a one-sided back. These one-sided "notes" are accordingly on very thin paper (half the regular paper thickness). I'm not sure exactly how he does it but some type of washing/chemical treatment process is obviously involved. I have personally inspected several of these "notes" and they could easily deceive some people who are seeing them for the first time. However, when you see several of these concoctions together (in various denominations!) you soon realize what's going on.

This same nameless person, who I have known for some 20 years, is what you might call a "Master Presser & Processor". He has been washing, bleaching and pressing high-grade notes for all of the time I have known him. Many of his "products" end up with that awful "chemical smell" that all Forum members so detest. I have tried many many times to explain to him the errors of his ways but he merely responds that he makes a great deal of money doing what he does --- and who can argue with that philosophy in the capitalist world in which we live! He has ruined literally hundreds of original EF and AU notes over the years by "upgrading" them to AU/UNC and UNC but he will never stop what he does and I doubt very much if he's alone in this very lucrative line of work ...  >:(
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 10:05:29 am by Ottawa »

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
Mikeysonfire
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 11:06:50 am »

I also saw a 1937 1 dollar note on ebay. Am not not sure if its the same one you are talking about.. At first I thought cool! Then I started to think if it was really real because of its grade. The grade was in VG. I don't think an error like that would be circulation so much. Someone would have seen it and kept it or give it to the bank.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 11:07:57 am by Mikeysonfire »

Login with username, password and session length