Author
Topic: Do bank notes improve with age like fine wine ??  (Read 4352 times)
canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
  • CNA Member 21689 and CPMS Life Member 100
« on: August 01, 2007, 05:18:29 pm »

I have sometimes wondered whether Canadian paper money improves with age like a fine wine.

In researching notes for the many registries on the Wiki site, I have come across numerous rare notes
that have changed hands several times at public auctions.  These notes can be accurately identified by
their unique serial numbers.  It is amazing how a note that originally graded VF at a public auction in the
1990s is now showing up as an EF in a current public auction.

Are these small improvements in a bank note's grade dependant on time ?  Does it take 10+ years for a
note to improve by one grade or can this happen over a shorter time period ?  Will all my AU notes be
UNC in 10 years or does it take longer ?

Well I am happy to report that this can happen in less time than most of us could ever hope for.  The following
note was sold just over 1 month ago as an AU by a prominent forum member and expert grader:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190123546662

Through the miracle of time and the principles of "Spontaneous Numismatic Grade Improvement" this same
note has transformed into an UNC:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250150113795

This phenomena has raised hope for all the AU notes that are currently languishing in my collection. 

"Caveat Emptor"

...Arthur

Arthur Richards
Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009
bwho9d
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 06:26:11 pm »

:o :o :o

I heard people "restore" paper fibers by heating them through a laser printer. I occasionally do it on lower-value banknotes. It doesn't work on folds and creases but on small ripples it works fine. Also works on my homework every time.  ;)  ;D

I wouldn't try it on Journey notes. It will kill the tactile feature and damage the holographic stripe.

Better watch out...that note might be pressed through a laser printer.
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 07:18:38 pm »

The following note was sold just over 1 month ago as an AU by a prominent forum member and expert grader:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190123546662

Through the miracle of time and the principles of "Spontaneous Numismatic Grade Improvement" this same note has transformed into an UNC:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250150113795

I don't think this is really surprising. After all, the note in question was graded as AU when it was listed on eBay on June 13 but that was about 7 weeks ago ..... before the new Charlton catalogue came out. However, under the new Charlton grading rules it could legitimately be an UNC-60 now.

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 09:19:40 pm »

Surprisingly the grade of the note in the active auction now on eBay has now reverted to AU++ from
its previously stated UNC grade.  This has only happened since this post was started this afternoon.

It appears that this note is suffering from a "multiple grading disorder".

Even a fine wine will turn to vinegar in time.

BTW....There is no reason for the eBay links to be removed as these posts are not serving to market
a note for personal gain but to inform prospective buyers of the note's history.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 09:38:16 pm by canada-banknotes »

Arthur Richards
Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009
canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 09:36:56 pm »

Don't worry.  Brent always did like you best

Spoken like a true ringleader  ;D  ;D

Arthur Richards
kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 11:54:30 am »

I have always found many dealers and collectors be much more lenient on the grade of a very old and scarce note then a recent note.

I would even argue that some third party graders have this mentality!

Overall I cannot see them get any better from the day they are printed. There is just something about an old note that makes me like them much better.

KC's Canadian Currency
kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 09:48:11 pm »

Canada-Banknote, I meant to compliment you on the note pictured in your signature. That picture would be the only time I have seen this note in issued form.

If this is one of the notes in your collection than I am truly impressed ;)

KC's Canadian Currency

Login with username, password and session length