Author
Topic: What would you pay....  (Read 8718 times)
drake
« on: May 06, 2010, 01:00:09 pm »

I have a chance to purchase a 1935 french $2 unc65 low number (under 10)
 and it's real nice. I have the Charlton book.....just wondering if the low number is worth a real premium or not.

Thanks
Mortgage Guy
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 01:41:24 pm »

Personally speaking low numbers don't excite me more than that but grade does. What i would suggest is to make sure the grade is accurate first and foremost before you concentrate on the fact that the note is below 10. I believe I've seen this note before but I can't recall when or where. If low numbers are of interest to you and the grade is accurate, go for it. I wouldn't pay a premium for the low number but that's just me as I'm sure some would.

MG

Always Buying Any Replacements and Special Serial Numbered Notes In C.Unc+ Condition
JB-2007
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 02:23:29 pm »

There aren't many low numbers below 10 around in any of the 1935 notes... Especially being french and in almost top grade would be a spectacular note! I don't exactly know what UNC65 is... would it be like a CU? Anyhow i don't think much premium should be added to the note... already the fact that its in top quality is rare enough. Hopefully you got a reasonable price.
Mortgage Guy
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 02:28:39 pm »

Do you know who says the note Unc65? is it a TPG or the individual selling the note?

Always Buying Any Replacements and Special Serial Numbered Notes In C.Unc+ Condition
drake
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 02:31:16 pm »

TPG .....
Mortgage Guy
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 02:32:56 pm »

Would you share which one?

drake
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 02:38:14 pm »

I hate to say because of how some ppl here feel about them...BUT,PMG!
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 02:51:14 pm »

A PMG grade of 65 is not a Gem Uncirculated by Canadian standards.  I would recommend inspecting the note for yourself because a PMG uncirculated note could be anything as low as EF by Canadian standards.

Let's see... 1935, French, possibly Unc, serial number under 10... sounds like a trophy note to me.  That means the seller can set whatever price he wants and he'll find a buyer (eventually).

No hay banda  
drake
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 02:55:36 pm »

mmars

So owning a "trophy note" would be a bad thing?
Mortgage Guy
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 03:20:58 pm »

People will have different opinions on if a trophy note is a good or a bad thing which isn’t the point. If you’re going to spend the cash needed to purchase this note I would never do so without cutting it out of the holder and if I was told I wasn’t allowed to do so I wouldn’t even bother pursuing it. This has happened to me in the past and when you’re spending thousands on a note based on a $20 grading fee that’s just crazy to me.

Like many have said before, buy the note not the holder.

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 03:35:07 pm »

mmars

So owning a "trophy note" would be a bad thing?

A trophy note is defined as a note demonstrating exceptional qualities that include (but that are not limited to) rarity and condition.  They are basically notes that appeal to the most elite collectors and thus command the kinds of prices that only people with a nearly limitless bankroll can provide.  So, calling a note a "trophy note" makes it that much more appealing, not less appealing.  The term "trophy note" should not be compared to "trophy wife".  The former will hold its value if not make money for you; the latter will only cost you more and more money with time  ;)

No hay banda  
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 03:36:22 pm »

...spending thousands on a note based on a $20 grading fee that’s just crazy to me.

AMEN.

No hay banda  
87Megalodon
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 06:42:37 pm »

p. 344 of the Charlton talks about low serial numbers. It values a a 1935 french 2 with a number between 2-9 at $13,000. A 1,000-2,000 premium over the catalogue value for a unc or ch.unc french $2.
Art_1_ Paper
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 06:56:30 pm »

^^ I would probably pay more than that if I was a rich tycoon and had unlimited funds. I mean out of the 10 notes with such low serial numbers, the UNC-65 is probably the best and only one of its kind. Hard enough to find any French 1935 $2 in decent shape, let alone UNC and with low serial #. Sadly, if I was a potential buyer, I would STILL negotiate it to the max. This is something you gotta sell to someone who doesn't care about money and has the "must have" attitude. As mentionned here, it is a trophy note.
drake
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 09:15:11 pm »

wow....some great comments....Thanks

and no i am not rich!!lol

Login with username, password and session length