Author
Topic: 1872 bank of acadia 4 dollars  (Read 9268 times)
phillyosk
« on: August 11, 2011, 02:20:25 pm »

I was just trying to get a little more info this 1872 bank of acadia 4 dollar bill. I havent been able to retrieve much information about the note ie: its value and what i could expect to get for it. Was purchased at an auction in 92 from jeff hoare.

any help would be great
Bernie
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 03:19:47 pm »

A scan or at least a condition of the note would be helpful.

The latest edition (7th) of Charlton lists the 1872 $4 note at:

500, 1000, 1750, 3500, 6000 in G, VG, F, VF, XF respectively. It is not priced at AU or above.

There are 59 issued notes in the register, 12 of which are "institutional."

A face proof is listed at 1200.

There are 3 (actually only one) presently listed on eBay at:
http://coins.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=bank+of+acadia+%244&_sacat=11116&_sop=1&_odkw=bank+of+acadia+%244&_osacat=11116&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Yours?
phillyosk
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 03:27:50 pm »

Thank you,

The terrible scan you seen on ebay is mine yes. It was sold as a Fine, however that was 20 years ago at auction. Ive been told grading standards have changed alot since then. I havent seen another acadia 4 aside from all the past sales on icollector.

phillyosk
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 03:49:33 pm »

In addition to that, is there a premium on certain banknotes that have a population of 100 or less etc?
rarecoins2001
    • One coin per country collectors group
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 04:36:21 pm »

You may want to change your listing it says you only ship to the U.S. on the right so it probably will not let Canadian people even bid.

phillyosk
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 04:43:40 pm »

Im not sure why it says  that. I usually specify that i will ship anywhere.

You wouldnt happen to know where i change that option? or would i just list in on .ca
Bernie
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 09:00:45 pm »

In addition to that, is there a premium on certain banknotes that have a population of 100 or less etc?
Actually a hundred notes is quite a lot. There are many very nice and rare chartered notes on eBay listed with BIN's of 2 or even 4 times catalog. Many have been sitting there for years. The bottom line is supply and demand.
Bernie
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 09:08:45 pm »

Thank you,

The terrible scan you seen on ebay is mine yes. It was sold as a Fine, however that was 20 years ago at auction. Ive been told grading standards have changed alot since then. I havent seen another acadia 4 aside from all the past sales on icollector.
A decent scanner will run you about $50 - a good investing when you are listing notes at several thousand dollars. I would certainly not bid on your notes without much better scans.

PMG and other 3rd party graders have certainly inflated grades at the lower end. However, the Canadian standards listed in the Charlton (or Pick) catalogs have not been changed. Some of the Canadian TPG's seem to grade closer to the "old standards." It will be interesting to see how the World standards will mesh with the US standards of TPG's in the future.
phillyosk
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 10:18:56 am »

Thanks for the post.

I am a newbie as my icon says so im learning as i go and the information provided was much appreciated.

phillyosk
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 10:23:20 am »

Aside from going directly to the auction house where my bills were purchased, is there and acrhive of past items sold at auction and how much they sold for?

i was offered $760 for the 5 dollar train note on ebay which again was sold as a fine. I wonder if that was a fair price.
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 01:51:25 pm »

Many problems with your ebay listing(s).  The fact that you've listed the same note 3 times in 3 different listings is a violation of ebay's rules just for starters.

When you make a listing, you specify shipping options and costs for various destinations.  Obviously, you listed on ebay.com, so by default, the only destination that is selected automatically is the U.S.  You need to add other destination countries to have your item show up on the eBay satellite sites for those countries.  However, Canadian bidders are not automatically locked out of listings that do not specify shipping to Canada.  The seller has to deliberately block buyers in certain countries from bidding.  (That's just a "tip" for those of you who browse the U.S. site for Canadian paper and get upset at seeing so many listings that appear to be U.S. only.  Why so many Canadian sellers and buyers continue to use the U.S. eBay site is beyond my comprehension.  You can list in Canadian dollars or U.S. dollars on the Canadian site, ebay.ca.  You don't have that choice on the U.S. site.)

All of your listings are in a strange category, i.e.,
Paper Money: World > Collections, Lots

You can change categories to have them show up in Canadian paper money ,i.e,
Paper Money: World > North America > Canada > Dominion of Canada

A note with a surviving population of under 100 is not really rare, merely scarce.  Under 20 would be rare.  A few collectors have amassed details of surviving rare notes, and this information is published in the CPMS Newsletter 4 times per year.  If you're not a CPMS member, you don't have access to these reports.  Unfortunately, the information in those reports cannot be posted in our online rare note registers because of copyright problems (i.e. the CPMS needs to sell hard copies to make money).

A scanner will produce better images, but that's not going to make a big difference if you use eBay's picture posting service which shrinks everything down to 400 pixels.  You need a better picture hosting service that will show images as big you make them.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 01:55:19 pm by mmars »

No hay banda  
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 01:57:52 pm »

i was offered $760 for the 5 dollar train note on ebay which again was sold as a fine. I wonder if that was a fair price.

for a note as popular as the 1912 $5 train note, that offer is not too good.  I'd hold out for more, especially since you're going to be sucking up 9% in seller's fees.  It may take a while before someone comes along and offers a good price.

No hay banda  
phillyosk
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 04:18:52 pm »

Well thanks for firm heads up/lash I appreciate the honesty. I will address the same bill for sale multiple times issue on ebay. I'm not trying to infringe on selling laws. As far as shipping details: there were no options for paper money, Canada. The closest I could get was world or u.s and strangely no Canada which may be related to posting on the u.s site, who knows.

I have been told the 4 dollar bill is somewhat rare and i use that term loosely, maybe scarce is a better one. There are 59 issued notes in the register, 12 of which are "institutional."  I gather that is all relative.

Thanks for your opinion regarding the 5 dollar note, like i said before Im picking up more on the hobby every day thanks in part from alot of you. SO AGAIN THANK YOU
phillyosk
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 04:28:55 pm »

On an unrelated note: mmars for being 96 you are sharp as a whip. I hope that in 65 years I can say the same thing for myself.  Good for you !!
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 05:27:21 pm »

On an unrelated note: mmars for being 96 you are sharp as a whip. I hope that in 65 years I can say the same thing for myself.  Good for you !!

And if you see him in person he doesn't look a day over 70 :)

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series

Login with username, password and session length