Author
Topic: Really Really odd Misprints!  (Read 10507 times)
Wizard1
  • Global Moderator
  • Peanut Butter Jelly Time,Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
« on: June 11, 2008, 08:59:29 am »

Hey guys/gals. I came across what seems to be a really odd misprint. The corner of this $20 has a really odd pattern that I can't match to anything. The entire bill is one piece. Also the odd corner of the bill is also a little glossier than the rest of the bill. Anyone else seen this before or might have any idea what this is worth?

JUNE 25th
I just picked up another odd misprint and was wondering if anyone has seen anything like this either. It looks like somehow something blocked the printer from finishing the final 0. The background is intact so im sure it hasn't been tampered with. The picture below was taken through a Loupes at 8x. Any idea what the value would be for this? Thanks.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 08:39:03 am by Wizard1 »

1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 09:12:36 am »

I personally have never seen a bill like that.
I am sure that another member here should be able to tell you about it though!

Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 08:26:09 pm »

It looks to me as if that odd looking corner has been glued on, i.e. replaced.

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
Wizard1
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 10:42:41 pm »

It looks to me as if that odd looking corner has been glued on, i.e. replaced.

Nah I checked. I bent it back and forth and its part of the actual note. BUT there is a slight slight break in the paper on the light green miscoloured side of the misprint. Its wierd because the misprint on the front is very glossy compared to the rest of the bill while the back is really Matte compared to the rest of the back of the bill.

Elwoodbluesca
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Metro Coin & Banknote Company - Toronto Coin Expo
    • Metro Coin & Banknote Company
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 10:49:29 pm »

Its wierd because the misprint on the front is very glossy compared to the rest of the bill while the back is really Matte compared to the rest of the back of the bill.

I am thinking that the bent section of the note had been laminated / varnished twice. The back pass, the corner was bent, and on the front pass the corner was corrected and straightened out, thus the extra gloss on that particular section of the note on the one side.

www.metrocbc.com - Metro Coin & Banknote Company
www.torontocoinexpo.ca - Toronto Coin Expo
President - Canadian Paper Money Society #1605
Director - J. Douglas Ferguson Foundation
Wizard1
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 11:08:10 pm »

Another thing that's weird are the 12 raised little waivy black lines on the front of the misprint. These lines as well as the odd background pattern's of the note doesn't seem to be any part of any of the current series of notes.

Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 12:20:44 am »

Hmmm.  Glossy, to me, means the corner was "changed" after is was fully printed.
But perhaps, before it left the printing facility.

The printing companies print more than just money, the corner of this note might have swung under (SOMEHOW) a drum that was on an unrelated print run.

The pattern of the corner could be a stage of printing of a different type of document altogether.

Either way, it is very unique- the first I have ever heard of it.

Nice find!

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 09:41:07 am »

how much do you think a note like this would sell for?

Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 03:00:15 pm »

The corner looks extremely sharp to me as if it's been trimmed with a razor blade. However, the rest of the scan indicates that the note has been well circulated as it exhibits an edge tear and an internal split. It still looks to me as if the corner has been stuck on in some way(?) A high resolution scan of both sides of the complete note might be useful.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 03:02:13 pm by Ottawa »

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 11:29:28 pm »

The corner looks extremely sharp to me as if it's been trimmed with a razor blade. However, the rest of the scan indicates that the note has been well circulated as it exhibits an edge tear and an internal split. It still looks to me as if the corner has been stuck on in some way(?) A high resolution scan of both sides of the complete note might be useful.

I forgot to mention that the corner appears to be CRISP UNC whereas the rest of the note appears to be only VF! ??? 
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 11:31:15 pm by Ottawa »

Wizard1
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 08:25:30 pm »

I just picked up another odd misprint and was wondering if anyone has seen anything like this either. It looks like somehow something blocked the printer from finishing the final 0. The background is intact so im sure it hasn't been tampered with. The picture below was taken through a Loupes at 8x. Thanks.

Wizard1
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 07:25:22 pm »

any opinions on the $50?

Elwoodbluesca
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 08:44:09 pm »

What condition is the $50 in?
Is there an imprint/indent in the paper where the ink is missing making a complete circle?

Wizard1
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 11:00:41 pm »

What condition is the $50 in?
Is there an imprint/indent in the paper where the ink is missing making a complete circle?

Id Say its in VF condition because it has a crease going down the center of the note. There is no imprints/indentations scratches discolorations etc. As you can see the background where the part of the 0 that's missing is complete.

Elwoodbluesca
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2008, 11:52:21 am »

This is a very tough one, and one that would need to be examined in person due to the fact that the note is in circulated condition and the missing ink is so small. If the note was uncirculated, then you would be able to see the full embossing of the serial number to help determine how this might have happened.

Here are a few thoughts of what could have happened:

- Lack of ink on the number when printed
- The missing portion was obstructed with debris
- The number wheel had a broken/chipped piece in it
- There is a fold in the note through the number and the ink wore off
- Some one took a razor blade and scratched the ink off

Yes this could be a legitimate error, but my concern is that it could also be easily fabricated. With the condition of the notes, it is very hard to say when the missing ink had happened. If the embossing is still very strong, then you may be able to see if the zero was completed with the full embossing and the missing ink, or if the zero is like a backwards C missing the embossing and ink together.

Hope this helps

Login with username, password and session length