Author
Topic: Notes for investment purposes  (Read 3771 times)
Tim
« on: April 03, 2010, 03:59:51 pm »

Just wondering if anyone buys notes for the purpose of selling them much later on for a profit?   Also,  what notes would you think one could do this with?  My thoughts are that these are some of the following notes that should go up in value quite a bit over 10-20 years or so:

Some of the DofC notes such as 1870 $1.00 or 2.00's
train notes
higher denomination 1935's in EF or better
rare replacements

I am sure there are others but these were just my first thoughts.

Cheers

Tim
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 04:11:40 pm »

Just wondering if anyone buys notes for the purpose of selling them much later on for a profit?

I'm sure every dealer does this...buy low sell high....preferably sell quickly as well
 :)

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 04:30:14 pm »

I'm sure every dealer does this...buy low sell high....preferably sell quickly as well
 :)

Yeah, what's up with the "much later" bit?  A wise investor once said "It's never too early to take a profit".  8)

No hay banda  
Mortgage Guy
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 12:56:20 pm »

I don't think buying notes as an investment strategy in building wealth is a wise way to go about it. Personally i would be happy if my collection keeps up with inflation. Also a note that doubles in value over 10 years is a very poor investment. Their are much better/easier areas to make money then to buy bank notes.

MG

Always Buying Any Replacements and Special Serial Numbered Notes In C.Unc+ Condition
alvin5454
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 02:22:55 pm »

Buy scarce, high-grade notes, even if it hurts at the time. You will do well from the investment standpoint. Buy common notes in lower grades and you will not advance your investments much. That said, there's plenty of common notes that bring great satisfaction from the collector standpoint.
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 12:01:15 pm »

Some of the DofC notes such as 1870 $1.00 or 2.00's
train notes
higher denomination 1935's in EF or better
rare replacements

-These have always attracted a lot of attention, and are a pretty safe bet.  However, you need deep pockets to get them in the first place, and this is assuming that collectors will turn to the harder/scarcer notes to acquire.  That is the problem, for instance, with some of them (for example the train note, $25 1935 or * DF).  

If you think about other notes that have performed (increased in value) over recent years, look to DF (oh & if only you could find an * in any condition!), DF change-overs in particular, Osborne-Tower 37's and change-overs (eg: $10 G-T Z/D), and (as you listed) the rare replacements, though I think there's something to be said to collect even the less rare * asterisks as new info makes such formerly inexpensive buys (ie: *B/M with no fpn/bpn) double in value.  

I am probably one of the few who believe there are 1969 multi-colured (esp "good-overs" & test notes) that are under-valued and even a few Birds.  I also believe that many errors are under-rated/valued at the current time and this will change (however, most people who find them tend to over-inflate or over-estimate their value rather than let the market decide).

I tend to watch eBay, here, and other sites to try to get an idea of what is selling a lot and what is something we don't see too often.  I also think it is wise to jump into some of the rarer recent issues (change-overs/short perfixes) - &  when you choose to "cash in" is always a hard call.  I would never criticize someone for getting a good return on their notes (as an investment) esp when they may be changing the focus of their collection (as I've done many times!)

Login with username, password and session length