Author
Topic: Mystery of the missing Bouey-Rasminsky signatures  (Read 4491 times)
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« on: October 14, 2005, 10:12:50 pm »

According to the Charlton's, Gerald Bouey was the Deputy Governor of the BofC from January 1, 1972 to February 1, 1973, after which he became the Governor.

Why, then, is the Bouey-Rasminsky signature combination not found on these notes:
-1954 Modified 50's
-1954 Modified 100's
-1969 20's

For the above 3 issues, the signatures jump from Beattie-Rasminsky to Lawson-Bouey.  Maybe there was a low demand for (or over-supply of) certain notes from Jan. '72-Feb. '73?  Then again, there were Bouey-Rasminsky 1,000's for the 1954 issue...but no Crow-Bouey 1,000's ???

Guess the BofC didn't have the time or didn't feel like re-engraving the plates for ALL of the affected notes with the new signatures??  :-/

Bob
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 10:59:27 pm »

The Bank did not order quantities of every denomination in every year, and still doesn't.  If no notes are ordered during the tenure of a given Governor-Senior Deputy Governor team, we wouldn't expect to see their signatures.
Normally $50's and $100's are only ordered in alternate years, and perhaps 30-odd years ago, the same applied to $20's.  That seems to me the most likely explanation for the lack of Bouey-Rasminsky signatures.

Collecting Canadian since 1955
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 11:09:13 pm »

I'm guessing that it was similar to how we're currently printing notes. The period for that signature set is quite short, and even now we've got gaps of at least a full year between when some notes are printed. So I'm assuming that the BoC printed a decent stockpile during the Beattie/Rasminsky period, then by the time they ran out and initiated a second print run, the officers had changed again to Lawson/Bouey.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005, 12:22:45 am »

Yes, I can see how there might have been a sufficient stockpile of 1954 Beatty-Rasminsky 50's and 100's to cover Bouey's term as Sr. Deputy Governor.

But I can't imagine there having been a large enough inventory of 1969 Beatty-Rasminsky 20's on hand to cover the entire year of 1972 and then some.  I was only a toddler back then, but according to some of my elderly relatives and acquaintances, $20 bills were pretty common-place, even in the early 70's when $20 was a lot of money (and gas was 35 cents per GALLON, bread was 10 cents a loaf, cigarettes were $3.50 a CARTON, etc. etc. etc. :( >:().

Perhaps for the 1969 20's it was the same situation as the 1986 2's, where there was a lengthy delay in the changeover from the Crow-Bouey to the Thiessen-Crow signature combo...maybe the BofC just kept cranking out the 1969 Beattie-Rasminsky 20's even after Bouey had replaced Beattie, and then Bouey got promoted to Governor by the time the BofC got around to changing the plates.

Anyway, I'm still curious...think I'll e-mail the BofC and see what they tell me (if anything).  I'll keep ya posted. ;)

Login with username, password and session length