Author
Topic: BOC deliberately damaging notes?  (Read 3899 times)
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« on: October 24, 2005, 04:13:30 pm »

Hi, a question.
Does anyone think the BOC would ever consider "damaging" the notes before they release?

What I mean is deep impressions of an oval or circle.
There is an ebay auction on right now that describes this,
Some of my new $10s had this, and so did some of the $20s I got new in the AZN series.

It is as though something very heavy was pressed into it, leaving a crescent shaped mark.  Thus "UNC" can no longer apply (which is frusterating).  not only that, it went through ALOT of notes, so the pressure was very great.

What could be the reason for this?  

Thanks -Hudson

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
JohnnyG5
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 09:46:42 am »

I've got a former work-mate who now works at CBN (not on currency, but on software) and I asked him about it. He said it's the machines that cut the notes needed some adjustment.

Rumour has it that the machines have been repaired.

John

Paper Money is Art!
CA_Banknotes
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 01:24:50 am »

The dimples occur, I believe from the cutters. They exist on every currency that has a security thread in them. Hong Kong banknotes suffer from a much larger half-dimple on 95% of new notes in a unscientific survey I did when I kept using Hong Kong bank machines that gave out new notes. The notes look all crinkled when they are brand new loaded into the ATMs. It's hard to find ones in perfect condition, only the first few or bottom notes. I think it's because the blade loses sharpness, requires more force to cut, and that's probably what causes it.

Login with username, password and session length