Author
Topic: bird test notes?  (Read 4067 times)
moneycow
« on: February 18, 2006, 07:25:48 pm »

Just had a very frustrating visit to my local CIBC.  At my request the teller was fanning through a stack of 20s looking for crisp notes when I noticed at the bottom of the pile there appeared to be 3 or 4 crisp bird 10s.  I offered to purchase them but the teller told me it was against their policy.  I sought clarification but she was quite unwilling to elaborate.  I did determine that the bills weren't part of a mutilation pile.  Her answer to most of my questions was that it was a security issue and the information was not meant for the general public.  I asked if they were test notes but again she stated security reasons and clammed up.  I was also told "we start with them and they must remain in the drawer".  Very odd.

Anyone with a similar experience? Thoughts?
Tom
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS Life Member #96
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 07:35:33 pm »

That would be an issue to leave alone.  I know for a fact the the tellers have other denomination of notes at the bottom of the stacks of generally one denomination.  Believe me, it is for security.  That is about all I can say for the teller is correct, the reason is not for the general public to know and there is not anything special about the notes.

Tom   [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]
moneycow
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 11:18:15 pm »

Thank you Tom,
I believe I now know the reason for those notes.
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 04:40:45 am »

These specific notes that almost all tellers have in their drawer are "registered notes" should this specific teller be robbed.   The serial numbers are recorded and documented, should a robbery take place.   They can eventually be traced when found in circulation to determine the location where these notes were passed.  

Smile from your heart.  ;D
Tom
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS Life Member #96
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 10:36:12 am »

I guess the cats out of the bag.   :o

Login with username, password and session length