Author
Topic: EPW Crow-Bouey  (Read 3384 times)
JB-2007
« on: July 31, 2006, 06:29:02 pm »

Just a question for EPW Crow-Bouey, did they really print 40,000 or only 4,000
In charlton  19th edition p.316 it is a range of 3,988 notes
EPW 9723137-9727125*  40,000
Is this 40,000 correct?
Bob
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 08:09:50 pm »

Probably not - take the word "estimate" very literally.  Nobody knows how many were issued.  These notes were "good overs", with an outdated signature combination.  They were gathered up from around the plant, tucked in near the end of a series of Thiessen-Crows, numbered and  (legitimately) delivered.  I am only aware of two known; the 40,000 figure is merely a very cautious estimate based on the known Thiessen-Crows bracketing the two Crow-Bouey's.  Perhaps the truth lies closer to 4,000 - who can say?  All we can say with reasonable certainty is that n lies between 3989 and 45220 (and could be a multiple of 40).  Any new high/low number information, if it became available, would permit some refining of the estimate.
There is no requirement for the figure to be an integral number of reams - any usable leftover sheets would be put in the pile.  I've heard that one printer goes so far as to salvage individual notes, but I can't reliably recall which one.
The EET $10's are another example of exactly the same phenomenon, as is the HNB B-T $5.

Collecting Canadian since 1955
JB-2007
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 08:40:21 pm »

Probably not - take the word "estimate" very literally.  Nobody knows how many were issued.  These notes were "good overs", with an outdated signature combination.  They were gathered up from around the plant, tucked in near the end of a series of Thiessen-Crows, numbered and  (legitimately) delivered.  I am only aware of two known; the 40,000 figure is merely a very cautious estimate based on the known Thiessen-Crows bracketing the two Crow-Bouey's.  Perhaps the truth lies closer to 4,000 - who can say?  All we can say with reasonable certainty is that n lies between 3989 and 45220 (and could be a multiple of 40).  Any new high/low number information, if it became available, would permit some refining of the estimate.
There is no requirement for the figure to be an integral number of reams - any usable leftover sheets would be put in the pile.  I've heard that one printer goes so far as to salvage individual notes, but I can't reliably recall which one.
The EET $10's are another example of exactly the same phenomenon, as is the HNB B-T $5.
That makes a lot of sense. I guess we will never know how many EPW were printed.

Login with username, password and session length