Author
Topic: Colonial Bank of Canada 1859 $4 Note  (Read 6747 times)
glennby
« on: July 13, 2006, 03:13:19 am »

Colonial Bank of Canada
1859 ... "59" is hand written
Printer:  American Bank Note Company, New York
Signed on back of Note "Harison Walason" .. best guess on  name
No graphics on back of the note.

Selling a $1 Colonial Bank of Canada 1859 note on EBay (Bank Note Gallery) for $US130

Any further info on this banknote, ideas on valuation.
kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 08:46:50 pm »

The note seams to only have been signed once which again makes it a remainder. The trouble with remainder is that they are usually found in high grades such as EF, AU and UNC. Yours seams like a VF or possibly EF.

Book value for VF is $150 and $250 for EF.

Overall I find this one very nice as it has the vignette of Queen Victoria at center. Such vignettes usually makes a note very collectible.

May I ask where you find these notes? Perhaps you may tell us a bit about where they have been hiding all these years?  ::)

KC's Canadian Currency
glennby
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 10:38:06 pm »

I'm doing this on behalf of my Father/Mother-In-Law who have had these for a while.  These are the only bank notes they have.  I'm not sure why they arre in their possesion but I wil ask and pass on.

Thank you very much for your opinions of these notes :), I will pass on your comments and valuations based on condition  to the In-laws.  They will appreciate it immensely. ;D

Glenn
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 10:30:47 pm »

This appears to be a fully-issued note (not a Remainder Note) in VG-Fine or About Fine condition to my eye.  I can see very clear, albeit very faint, evidence of an ink signature in the left-hand signature panel. Sometimes what looks clear on one person's computer monitor may not look so clear on another person's monitor on account of differences in resolution settings, etc.

Regarding value, the Charlton Catalogue (5th Edition) suggests a value of $180 for a fully-issued example in Fine condition and this seems reasonable to me. Fully-issued examples of the Colonial Bank of Canada $4 denomination are by no means common in any condition.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 05:02:27 am by Ottawa »

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).

Login with username, password and session length