Author
Topic: Who has Dominion bank legals?  (Read 6379 times)
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« on: October 07, 2004, 07:11:50 pm »

Does anyone have one of these elusive large denomination notes that were used by banks only during the pre-BoC days?

I'd love to see some high-res scans of them.  The teeny B&W photos in the Charlton don't do them justice.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
Bob
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2004, 12:05:49 am »

Nobody has any.  They never circulated; banks used them for transactions with each other and with the finance department, but mostly they held them, along with gold, for their legally required reserves.   After the Bank of Canada began business, there was no further need for bank legals as reserves were held by the central bank.
Only once, as far as I know, did a bank legal escape into circulation, and that was entirely accidental.  A $1000 bank legal ended up among property tax funds collected in Vancouver, in 1915.  When the mistake was discovered, T. C. Boville graciously consented to take it back, although it had no legal value outside of banks.  The story is written up in the Sept. 1995 CPMS Newsletter, page 74.
What collectors DO have is proofs and specimens, released when bank note company archives were sold in the 1990's.

Collecting Canadian since 1955
spamltd
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 04:23:12 am »

Bob,
Is there any record of cancelled notes seen private hands  as charlton lists them ?
Bob
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2004, 11:53:16 am »

I don't know of any, personally.  An example has been seen in an exhibit from one of the chartered banks.

Collecting Canadian since 1955
Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2004, 01:49:48 pm »

I remember about 10 years ago the counter (or corner)from one went up for auction. I don't remember the denomination though.

Gary_T
Tom
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS Life Member #96
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2004, 08:27:19 pm »

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2004, 08:41:38 pm »

Yes, that is a Bank Legal.  They're also found in the current Charlton between the 1923 Dominion notes and the Bank of Canada section.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.

Login with username, password and session length