Author
Topic: One-of-a-Kind EJE Prefix - $100 Journey Note  (Read 5383 times)
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« on: January 28, 2004, 06:36:40 pm »

Hello everyone,

I had the opportunity to attend the Bank of Canada's $100 Journey Series Note launch this morning in Vancouver at 10 am.  It was for the media presentation launch for British Columbia.  

It was very fancy, breakfast and all...

Anyhow, the highlight of the presentation was meeting the the Waddington Family.  The Waddington Family has a key roll in the $100 note as the poem (written by Miriam Waddington) is on the back of the note - "Do we ever remember that somewhere above the sky in some child's dream perhaps Jacques Cartier is still sailing, always on his way always about to discover a new Canada?"  

As token of the Bank of Canada's appreciation, they received a gift from the Bank.  It was a $100 Journey Series Note presented to them in a nice clear display presentation.  

What was MOST intriquing by the note was the fact that the serial number is EJE4806096.   The poem's creator and their family reside in Vancouver.    This gift came along with a very nice "thank you" card from the Bank of Canada.  

Stated inside the presentation holding the $100 EJE prefix note was "On the Occassion of the Unveiling of the Canadian Journey Series $100 Bank Note -  28 January 2004."  

There were no other families representing the Waddington Family at other Bank of Canada note launches across Canada.  The family was ONLY in Vancouver.  

I spoke to a Senior Bank of Canada representative that presented the gift to the family about the strange prefix on that note.  She informed me that this gift was the ONLY gift given to anyone with this prefix.  Because if the JPH is used as a experiment note, then the EJE is a "one-of-a-kind" note.  

It was indeed a pleasure to meet with the Waddington Family and to hold and see this unsual $100 note in my hand.   I also took pictures too!  I will get them developed and show them on the Canadian Paper Money website.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2004, 08:06:37 pm by coinsplus »

Smile from your heart.  ;D
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2004, 09:10:35 pm »

It's like that JHS $5 bill, an internal test note.

Marc :)
andrewpmk
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 10:41:43 pm »

According to Where's Willy (a Canadian bill tracking site), this is false. Where's Willy shows 861 entries for EJE prefix $100 bills (but only 12 bills with hits), indicating that EJE is a normal prefix.
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 02:18:31 am »

Hello andrewpmk,

Welcome to the board.  Yes, if you notice my original posting, the date of this post occurred during the launch of the $100 note about 2 years ago.  Gee... time has gone by quickly!  Anyhow, the BJ_ series were known to be issued at that time, but the EJ_ series was new.   It actually turned out the $100 note presented was a replacement note for the series.  

Smile from your heart.  ;D
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 08:03:08 pm »

You can't really go by "Where's Willy"
I got a "where's willy" stamped BER $10 note (in UNC too boot) which I placed back into ciruclation because it was defaced (with the "Where's Willy" stamp) only later to discover it was very rare  :-/

Now I have an EJE $100 in the 9 million range but cannot tell whether its an insert or not since no one has the info on them...though its suspected to be regular issue.  Its tough knowing what to keep these days!
JB

Login with username, password and session length