Author
Topic: Ink Smear?  (Read 4057 times)
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« on: August 05, 2006, 04:18:35 pm »

If anyone has a copy of Canadian Coin News - August 8th edition, please look at Pg 11.
The verticle mark on the $100 bill shown on this page is said to me caused by an ink smear.
It looks to me to be the edge of a teller's rubber stamp.  I have seen tellers count 100 notes, band them with a paper band, and stamp the band, and sometimes miss.   What do you think.  Did Mr. Campbell misdiagnose this one?

coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 06:57:32 pm »

Hello Eyevet,

Yes, I noticed it as well.  To me... it seems to be the edge of a teller's stamp - a bundle wrap was in the centre of the note.   Now, he doesn't mention the colour of the line.   Not sure if the line is the same colour of the note.    

Smile from your heart.  ;D
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 12:30:40 am »

A scan would be helpful to those of us unaided by a printed copy of this paper. ;)

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006, 03:27:11 pm »

here she be:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Oli1001
  • Very Senior Member
  • www.CanadianCurrency.ca
    • Canadian Currency
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 04:05:40 pm »

Looks like a teller's stamp to me too, even the size matches. If the ink was the same color as one of the colors found on the note then I would be believe that it is an ink smear.
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006, 07:19:45 pm »

I had one ink smear (new $10) that was a bit linear in that it had almost formed a line but then had splattered drops over the face (below what looked like a line).  The line of ink in this note started thin and then got thicker until it completely became undefined. Below, on the collar, there were more dots of the same ink. The ink was dark too.  When I first saw this printed picture in CCN I thought about a teller's stamp, but then remembered the note I once had, and that I have seen some rather linear type ink splotches (as if the ink was on a roller) on one $100 note but ususally accompanied by splotches or more irregular dots.  This one does seem almost too clean, too symmetrical and linear.

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2006, 09:28:41 pm »

At the time of my initial post re: this subject I did not know whether I had an image of the note I have since sold.  I found it, and have posted the image.  As you can see the smear is somewhat linear in its placement yet you can see that the ink is in dribbles or blotches....

[attachment deleted by admin]

Login with username, password and session length