Author
Topic: Picking up some notes  (Read 5920 times)
Shylo
« on: November 01, 2012, 12:34:41 am »

I have recently talked with the bank down the street from where I live and they will make their "best effort" to try and get uncirculated bills if/when possible.

I have schedualed my first pick up of notes for this wednesday which also happens to be the release of the new $20. The teller said that there is very little chance any of the $20's I ordered will be new buy a guy can always hope.

I do know that there will be a bunch of the new poly $50's and $100's .. I also remembered from a previous thread someone on here looking for certain prefixes.

My question would anyone be interested in picking up any of the notes?? And what would be the best way to list and post the notes? (is it even possible to upload and excel file on here?)
gendis
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 10:30:05 pm »

You should hope that your bank gives you paper Macklem-Carney $20's as these notes appear to be very scarce and will not be released or returned to the Bank of Canada once the polymers enter circulation.

Send me a PM if you receive paper Macklem-Carney $20.

Sam
JB-2007
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 11:11:19 pm »

You should hope that your bank gives you paper Macklem-Carney $20's as these notes appear to be very scarce and will not be released or returned to the Bank of Canada once the polymers enter circulation.

Send me a PM if you receive paper Macklem-Carney $20.

Sam
Perhaps you mean Macklem-Carney CBN $20's??
We have lots of Macklem-Carney $20's in circulation but only BABN's (AUU-AUZ and BIA-BI**).
Yes im quite interested to see if any CBN's show up because they could indeed by quite scarce... i have a doubt though that any were printed.
Skylark
  • Money Talks... but all mine ever says is Goodbye!
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 03:23:50 am »

Good luck,
I picked up a few bundles today and despite requesting UNC got well circulated. (best available in the city exclaimed the teller :-D)
Interestingly enough, one bundle had 4 AU birds and another bundle had an VG bird.

I collect banknotes depicting Tallships. And to a lesser degree, all watercrafts.
CA_Banknotes
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 07:38:49 am »

There were a lot of ATMs in the Toronto area that were dispensing UNC $20 bills in the last few months. I tend to have better luck getting UNC $20s and $50s from cash machines as opposed to over the counter.
gendis
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 11:37:07 pm »

The notes of both printers are equally scarce in Winnipeg.  I have an ongoing relationship with RBC and TD ATM's and the closest I have come to a Macklem-Carney is a Jenkins-Carney AUT.
Shylo
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 01:21:00 am »

I have a pretty good relationship at one bank and the one lady in the business teller que will do her best to get me new bills if she has them...ironically I deal more with another institution b/c of rates they provide, and they are a whole lot sympathetic for my desire to have brand new bills. There are tellers out there that will try to help with such requests, it's amazing what a positive attitude, a smile and a bit of charm can do.
gendis
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 06:56:50 pm »

I obtained some Macklem-Carney BIC 20's from a RBC ATM machine.  Unfortunately, the notes were the last that the ATM would provide because I had reached my daily withdrawal limit.  I went home, had my daily withdrawal limit increased but, by the time of return (30 minutes or less) the ATM was issung "circs".  A teller advised that the Bank of Canada will not be withdrawing the eixisting 20's when the polymers appear.  Perhaps the notes will be less scarce than I believe.

The main branch of RBC in Winnipeg is a good source of uncirculated notes at this time of year (or possibly a few weeks from now) as they are stocked for Chinese New Year.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 04:51:00 pm by gendis »
Wizard1
  • Global Moderator
  • Peanut Butter Jelly Time,Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 07:45:42 pm »

Ill keep an eye out.... but which Prefixes are CBNs (Macklem-Carney) again?

CA_Banknotes
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 09:56:51 pm »

I think FIK onwards would be the CBN notes, if they exist (but I doubt it.)

What'll be interesting to see is how long it'll take for ATMs to convert to polymer, and whether they'll be mixing up polymer and paper notes. Machines that gave out $50s were pretty much dispensing them within a few days of their introduction.

I have heard that the withdrawal of the $20s won't be nearly as fast as the $50s/$100s simply because these notes don't cycle through the bank as often, and because the BOC would be overwhelmed with having hundreds of millions of notes returned within a very short period of time, while pumping out enough new notes to replace them.
FogDevil
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 07:16:51 am »

I have heard that the withdrawal of the $20s won't be nearly as fast as the $50s/$100s simply because these notes don't cycle through the bank as often, and because the BOC would be overwhelmed with having hundreds of millions of notes returned within a very short period of time, while pumping out enough new notes to replace them.
The withdrawal of the paper $50s and $100s went fast because there were fewer of them in circulation.  The withdrawal of the paper $20's will probably take about 2 years, seeing there are at least 800,000,000 of them in circulation.  I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few FJ* prefixes to be released in the coming months.

The withdrawal of the paper $10 and $5 bills will probably move fast because of currently being the two least circulated denominations in Canada (the $5 bill ranking #4, and the $10 being the lowest ranking bill at #5).

Login with username, password and session length