Author
Topic: Personal Collection Website  (Read 6081 times)
MAS1
« on: December 13, 2012, 04:52:15 pm »

What do you think?   Having a personal website to share your collection for collectors/public to view
Would you share your collection with the world? Any feedbacks or thoughts

Thanks
Mortgage Guy
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 05:05:19 pm »

Personally never, simply for the fear of exposing myself to potential theft.

Regards,
MG

Always Buying Any Replacements and Special Serial Numbered Notes In C.Unc+ Condition
alvin5454
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 05:21:56 pm »

Way too dangerous
Squad-G
    • Banknotes
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 05:42:30 pm »

I think it's not dangerous if you put security in place. Example: safe deposit box or a good safe at the house.

See my banknotes collection at http://banknotes.davidbelanger.net/.
Find special numbers for your banknotes quickly by using this tool. Useful for the bundles.
alvin5454
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 06:23:24 pm »

If you have a collection that worth it to thieves, they will watch you if they find out who you are.
Say you transport your collection from the bank to your home to enjoy it for a weekend, you open yourself to the unexpected.
I'm not a conservative guy but I think it's best to remain anonymous.
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 06:40:22 pm »

Personally never, simply for the fear of exposing myself to potential theft.

I believe most of us would agree with this sentiment unless one was savvy enough to have the wherewithal to post a site which could never be traced back to its author.

I think its ironic (& almost a shame) that as a collector one must keep the evidence to oneself.  If we could "strut our stuff" a bit more might it not generate interest in the hobby? 

And yet the better one's collection the more necessary it is to keep this info private (for security reasons).

stashthecash
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 08:07:29 am »

What do you think?   Having a personal website to share your collection for collectors/public to view
Would you share your collection with the world? Any feedbacks or thoughts

Thanks

Well in my case that would be ok since the best note I have in my collection is a 1867-1967 Centennial note with a polar bear stamp on it...and we all know how rare that is  :)
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 02:57:58 pm »

Well in my case that would be ok since the best note I have in my collection is a 1867-1967 Centennial note with a polar bear stamp on it...and we all know how rare that is

Even if you have a collection of pressed Modified Centennials or the infamous "Golden stamped" polar bear twos- its not worth your trouble allowing yourself to be traced.  OR maybe you keep your collection in a safety deposit box at a bank (still a good idea not to broadcast it!) 

Look at the most common on-line auction site and it doesn't take too long to see people listing a scar-face $50 note for $3000.00  Many people don't have a clue of what a note is worth so it follows that crooks are even worse for doing their homework!  Whether your collection is worth a fortune or slightly above face: To most, money is money, and you can become a target if you don't understand that or leave invitations to be tracked down on the world wide web. Sad but true.

venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 03:01:38 pm »

Modified Centennials

Is there any other kind?  ;)

Al D
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 10:06:44 am »

A safe or safety deposit box is only as secure as your tolerance to pain.
My collection is not huge but I only share it with trusted friends who have an interest in numismatics.

Login with username, password and session length