Author
Topic: 1967 BANK OF CANADA F/P M/P PREFIX LETTERS  (Read 3843 times)
bigdad542003
« on: August 17, 2007, 11:21:32 pm »

WHY ARE THE PRICES ON THESE TWO PREFIXES SO MUCH DIFFERENT WHEN THE PRINTING IS VERY CLOSE IN NUMBER DOES NOT MAKE SENSE ONE AT 10.00 AND THE OTHER AT 85.00 IN GEM UNC
numismateer
  • Paper Money is History! it's plastic now
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 12:32:07 am »

M/P was always regarded as a tougher prefix. Years ago it was higher than it is now, $120 I recall. Possibly, it was a regional quirk whereby more were in the west than east, and east is where most of the pricing panel were from. They were always quite plentiful in the west, and nobody paid the cat value for them. It is also possible that a predominant market maker had a bundle when nobody else did, suggested the run was short, then leaked them out after the price went up.
AL-Bob
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 12:38:00 am »

There seem to be fewer M/P's available for some reason. I guess all the collectors had plenty of centennials stashed away already by the end of the year when the M/P's came out?  But I agree that $85 is still way higher than is ever paid for these.  If you needed to sell one I think $30-$35 is about as much as you would get.

AL-Bob(at)cdnpapermoney com
alvin5454
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 01:35:03 am »

Printing number does not always indicate availablility. Regional releases (maybe fewer collectors at the time), number released overall, number withdrawn.... all are factors (and many others) noted over the years by the pricing panel ..... individuals must be attentive of market conditions that also factor into price in the marketplace..... guides + market attentiveness = price you think is good for you... Other indications are a bonus .....
Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 11:26:08 pm »

Back then it didn’t make sense for me either. For BC-45b M/P, I backtracked previous guides of the value M/P and it had it’s steep rise and plunge over the years. Back then I looked at the data and just balked at the price then. I collected all prefixes and asterisks except the M/P. I finally completed my Centennial series this month at about the price AL-Bob just quoted.

2nd edition      65.00
3rd edition     150.00
4th edition     125.00
8th edition       80.00
19th edition     60.00
20th edition     60.00

Dei Gratia.
PD

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon
Agio
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 10:17:03 am »

I think as the Charlton relies on input from dealers for the most part certain notes will fluctuate as small or large hoards of the more modern items show up in the market Looks like that happened with the MP but as Al-bob pointed out, the market determines the price, not the cat.

Anyone want a few hundred gem unc 1986 $2's for cat?  :D

Login with username, password and session length