Author
Topic: Journey series flimsier than Birds series?  (Read 4867 times)
Slugboy
« on: October 04, 2004, 05:54:23 pm »

Hello. I'm new here, so forgive me if you've heard this question before (mind you, I couldn't find it answered anywhere else in the forum)

Is it my imagination, or are the Canadian Journey notes thinner, flimsier and more papery than the old Birds series? I got some of the new $20s
out of the ATM the other day, and I was surprised about how floppy they  seemed. I recall the same thing with the new Journey $5s and $10s when they came out. I remember the new Birds $20s being a lot stiffer and more substantial. A number of other people I know have been complaining about it too.

Can anyone shed any light on the issue? Thanks.
Kelly b.
  • CPMS #1356
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2004, 07:13:14 pm »

I have noticed the same thing, but I don't have an answer as to why.

There is a thin line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.
copperpete
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1408
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2004, 08:43:43 pm »

Because Spexel has closed its doors last June, the BoC had to find another paper supply.  It's a German paper maker who got the contract.  Its paper is now used on the new 20$ and 100$.  I don't know for sure if the 10$ (prefix BER and BES) and all the J-D 5$ notes are printed on the remainder of old Spexel's paper or switched on a German paper.

Even if the paper seems flimsier that that one for the Bird serie, I think it will stand the circulation well.  I tried to soak a new note in water and it seems to me to be slightly more resistant.  It doesn't tears easily, even wet.  Maybe it's a different composition of the paper? ???  I only hope that it will stand better than the 5$ or 10$ notes.

Login with username, password and session length