Author
Topic: Bank notes a danger to society???  (Read 4072 times)
twoinvallarta
  • Paper Money is Art!
« on: June 28, 2007, 08:08:30 pm »

Flu could hitch a ride on banknotes
16:02 22 June 2007
NewScientist.com news service
Debora MacKenzie, Toronto
The flu virus persists so well on banknotes that money could help spread the next pandemic, researchers say.
Yves Thomas and colleagues at the University Hospitals of Geneva in Switzerland dripped various strains of flu virus – including some that were circulating during winter 2007 – onto Swiss banknotes and left them at room temperature for varying amounts of time before testing for live virus.

"We wanted to assess the survival of human flu on banknotes, knowing that billions of them are exchanged daily," Thomas says.

Money is so widely exchanged among all members of society that its movement has been studied as a model for the way infections spread.

At home in mucus
Some strains of flu lasted only two hours, but the most common flu, H3N2, lasted up to 72 hours.

However, all the strains lasted longer when they were dripped onto the notes along with human nasal mucus. Some lasted as long as 17 days. One strain that lasted only two hours on its own lasted 24 hours in mucus.

"I'm surprised the virus persisted so long," says Graeme Laver, an expert in the spread of bird flu, formerly of the Australian National University in Canberra. But the flu virus likes wet environments – and mucus is ideal because it is designed to retain water.

Touch transmission
Typically humans with flu shed copious amounts of virus in their nasal secretions, the main route by which flu is believed to spread.

The extent to which flu spreads by floating through the air is debated by scientists, but experiments have shown that it is transmitted when people with flu touch surfaces that are then touched by other people.

This means that handling money within the lifespan of the virus could pass on the illness.

The findings were presented at the Options for the Control of Influenza Conference in Toronto, Canada, 17 to 23 June.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Comment:Guess there's something to be said for washed and pressed notes after all.Will they command a premium in the future? If so I stand to make a fortune!!

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 08:16:22 pm »

The flu virus persists so well on banknotes that money could help spread the next pandemic

In order to help stop the spread of any more viruses I will be more that happy to accept anyones banknotes. Please ship to me in a bubble envelope to prevent further spread to postal workers.

PM me if you do not already have my mailing address

Thanks in advance
FRIEDSQUID 8)

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
bwho9d
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 08:51:40 pm »

So it's spread by touching, than credit and debit cards still aren't safe to use unless the handler only handles these cards. Where's a job with a fair income when you need it?
Wasn't there a similar post in the Bank of Canada Notes section?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 08:00:05 pm by Neon Zidane »
canadianpaper
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 12:03:30 am »

twoinvallarta,

In some countries I've travelled to, the currency (banknotes) are so filthy that one would rather 'leave the change' to a vendor rather than pickup what's due to them. I can believe that even though our banknotes are 'prettier' they aren't neccessarily more sanitary.

I heard from a physician that travellers coming from countries with flu strains (e.g. the bird flu pandemic) that bring currencies and exchange them at currency exchange stores at the airport also pose as a terrible source of transmission.

Not to get too 'CSI' but, considering the terrible flu strains and who knows what else is on a banknote... does this lead one to ask...

Are cleaned, bleached, and pressed notes finally good for something?
jasper
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 01:43:07 pm »

At least the TB strains on the old Dominion notes are likely sensitive to anti-tuberculous medications (lol) compared to newer strains.

Login with username, password and session length