Author
Topic: Royal Bank 1927; Bank of Montreal 1914, 1938  (Read 8302 times)
actuary6
  • Paper Money is Art!
« on: June 10, 2007, 06:27:20 pm »

Hi All,

I have three chartered bills and would like to know what is their book value.  Also, are these common or scarce notes?

Bank of Montreal $5 1914 VG-F
Bank of Montreal $10 1938 VG-F
Royal Bank of Canada $5 1927 VG-F

I appreciate the help,

Brad
kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 12:41:44 pm »

Hey

These are some good notes, none are really scarce in the collecting world but it would be an exciting day to find one in an old book or desk. These are not considered to be rare. In chartered notes “rare” is a term used when there are believed to be less than 20 or fewer know surviving example

Here is a bit more information on each.

Bank of Montreal $5 1914
This is not a note that comes on the market frequently but there is usually one or 2 available on eBay. This means that collectors are holding on to them which is a good thing. The book did not price this note in UNC leading to believe that the best you can get is an AU. Most that I have seen have been VF or worst. Book price is $100 in VG and $140 in Fine. I believe these values should be accurate for the grade given but with today’s market the note may fetch a couple % more. Collectors will pay premiums for the higher grades.

Bank of Montreal $10 1938
Very common note, readily available in coin shops and eBay. It is believe that stacks of these notes have survived in UNC condition. The grade of your note does not make it flattering but here are the book values.
VG $50 and Fine $80. It is quite possible that the note fetches less if auctioned. Perhaps more in the $30-$60 range

Royal Bank $5 1927.
Slightly more common than your 1914 $5 but still a good note to have. Large size notes for the RBC are usually always rising in value. Again very few are available in the higher grades such as UNC. If the left signature is Neil than it may be worth about 40% more than the Wilson signature.
Book prices are 80 in VG and 120 in FINE.

If you have any scans I would be happy to help you grade them.

KC's Canadian Currency
actuary6
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 01:59:48 pm »

Thanks for the info, kid_kc!  These are my first chartered notes and I find them really interesting.

I would grade all 3 VG, but they were sold to me as VG+.  Do you agree? Nonetheless, I picked up all 3 for only $65 total.  Glad to see they were a good deal.

Thanks again,

Brad
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 02:01:39 pm by actuary6 »
kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 08:28:01 am »

Thank you for posting these scans

I would aggree with the sellers grade and grade them as VG+ or close to a Fine but not quite. Perharps the paper has more to tell but they are all good looking notes. I would advise holding on to them as they will only go up in value as a long term investment.  You made a very good choice buying these for $65. deals like that dont happen very often.

Let me know if you ever get more and I would be happy to assist you

kid

KC's Canadian Currency

Login with username, password and session length