Author
Topic: HOP pant leg fleck  (Read 5733 times)
polarbear
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Paper Money is Art!
« on: March 24, 2006, 12:30:44 am »

Just looking at a bundle of HOP 9774781 and noticed  in the bundle a white fleck just above the last number.   It is on the right leg near just above the ankle.  It is quite noticable and looks like it happened  during the printing process.  It happens throughout the bundle sporatically.  Sorry I do not have a scanner to show you this.  Looks like the printers missed this small but very noticable fleck.

Cheers

Polarbear :o
Oli1001
  • Very Senior Member
  • www.CanadianCurrency.ca
    • Canadian Currency
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 10:39:36 pm »

Hey polarbear, I recieved a couple of bundles of new $10s and noticed a fleck as you mentioned in your bills. Here is a picture of three consecutive notes, the white dot occuring on the first and third note (on the pant leg). Though this picture is blurry the white dot is much more apparent in person. I know this isn't a rare find but I've seen this type of white dot variety sold recently and would like to know a little more about it. I was inform that it is caused with a spec of paper/dirt/something stuck on the printing press - really not sure how it happens though. If any members can comment on this topic and how this dot is actually caused, it would be much help. Your wisdom is much appreciated ;) Scroll to the right to see all three notes.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 10:40:45 pm by Oli1001 »
polarbear
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 11:23:05 pm »

yes oli I see the white spot(fleck) on his leg.  It sort of puzzles me.   It happened sporatically and I will see ifI can get in on the site.  Happy hunting

Polarbear
copperpete
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1408
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 04:47:56 pm »

Have-you find a repetite pattern in this white spot (you find one on every note in a sequence or you find out every three notes?).  I already reported a white blotch on the fivers, which was found repeatedly on every three notes, maybe you could notice the same parttern on your tens...

Oli1001
  • Very Senior Member
  • www.CanadianCurrency.ca
    • Canadian Currency
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 09:48:06 pm »

No there was no particular pattern. When I was looking through the notes I was expecting to find some type of pattern but the dot occurred sporadically. Sometimes every note for a couple of notes and then it would stop come back for only one note and then reappear only on every other note. Today at the Kitchner show Sudzee explained that it was most likely a spec of dirt/paper that travelled along the printing press causing the dots sporadically. Makes sense.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 11:16:31 pm »

I had the opportunity to see the $5 notes mentioned today, and I agree with the consensus that this is a very minor error, and would likely not command a premium of any sort. However, as one can always say, it is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. ;)

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.

Login with username, password and session length