Author
Topic: What different stages take place to print a banknote?  (Read 4635 times)
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« on: April 26, 2007, 12:46:43 am »

I was wondering if anyone can tell me the different stages that take place to print a finished banknote. For example when is the strip put on and the signatures and serial number etc?
Thanks FRIEDSQUID

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
copperpete
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1408
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 07:41:00 am »

As far I know (and correct me if I'm wrong), I believe that the holographic strip is put first, but I cannot tell for sure if it done by the makers of the paper at the mill, or put by the printers on the reams of paper on a separate unit.  I would think it's done by the makers of the paper because it would eliminate the possibility of put a strip for a denomination on the wrong paper (identified by the watermark) by the printers.

For sure, the watermarks and the security thread are put in place during the making the paper (the thread is partially imbedded in the paper fibers).

The first prints are the for backgroung coulours, made by lithography (probably with multiple passes with different inks to make all the hues).   The signatures are printed at this stage because they are put on the plates with the rest of the background design.  It was different in the 1935, 1937 and 1954 series because the signatures were separately printed at the BoC, on a special press by the BoC employees.  That's why we see signature errors on these series, particularly on the 1954 serie.

The following print is made on engraved plates for the portrait and all what give the high relief printing (raised ink).

The fluorescent markings are probably printed after that, then the codebar and serials on the back (printed by different machines because of the kind of errors seen).

I was told that there is at least 7 printing steps to make banknotes, probably more.  The scheme is consistent with this number...

Strange enough that it seems nobody who works (or had worked) for BABN or CBN can shed a bit of light on the process.  Are they under a kind of security clause, where they cannot tell anything of what they learned in the pressroom for the rest of their lives? ??? ???

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 11:01:30 am »

So when the actual bills are cut are they bundled afterwards. Just wondering how errors occur where a partial banknote is still attached to a full note. Or when other unusual portions of bills are found.  I know that some notes I have seen on ebay in the past were notes cut from a sheet of banknotes made to look like errors. These were specifically sold to the public as sheets which I assume can be determined by the prefix and serial numbers.

The other question being is in the past I have got blocks with a number on the packaging which contained the 4 bricks but now even if I specify a block I always get 4 individual bricks which are sealed individually and not combined as before. Is this something that is normal or just unlucky. 

Thanks for any input

FRIEDSQUID

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 11:13:34 am »

I just received this email today. All I asked is if I could use my camcorder to film a personal documentry of me taking an unguided tour through the printing process a Canadian Banknote.

I am sorry for the delay in responding but it was necessary for me to consult my colleagues in Currency Production, who are responsible for the printing of Canadian bank notes by our two domestic security printers.   They informed me today that the Bank does not divulge this sort of information for security purposes.

I am sorry that we could not be of more assistance.

Jeffrey H. Abbott
Senior Analyst | Analyste Principal
Bank Note Communication and Compliance | Observation et communication sur les billets de banque
Bank of Canada | Banque du Canada

The funny thing is that they did say I could have lunch with the PM.  I turned that offer down. I didn't want to waste anymore of your tax dollars.

FRIEDSQUID

actuary6
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 02:32:26 pm »

You turned down an offer to eat with the Prime Minister??????
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
  • Been There, Done That.... Wanna do it again?
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 02:40:41 pm »

The funny thing is that they did say I could have lunch with the PM.  I turned that offer down. I didn't want to waste anymore of your tax dollars.

Are you feeling ok???  :o

Strange enough that it seems nobody who works (or had worked) for BABN or CBN can shed a bit of light on the process.  Are they under a kind of security clause, where they cannot tell anything of what they learned in the pressroom for the rest of their lives?

I would expect every employee to be covered under a NDA. if anyone revealed any information they could face criminal charges and would some how fit under "National Security".

But we all know CSIS is most likely keeping tabs on all individuals who could pose a risk to National Security.... And Trust me....They know about and keep track of stuff FAR more than anyone want's to believe.  :o

Just wondering how errors occur where a partial banknote is still attached to a full note. Or when other unusual portions of bills are found.

Back some 20 Years ago and further back Security at the Printers was not what it is now. In The 70's there was no such thing as "Video Camera's" and "Employee Surveillance"  so individuals working at the printers used to CREATE error notes (All the wild Butterfly notes and extreme Ink Error's) so they could sell them to Dealers and Collectors and make a lot of extra income.

This was true with many of the really rare replacement notes. They were not intended to even have replacements in some of those prefixes.... But Some individuals figured out a quick way to make a fast buck... They would print a single sheet of NEW replacements, sneak them out and sell them.

Things have now changed at the printers. Employee's actually enter a special facility where they even have to change into special work clothes and then change back at the end of the day. Security is so tight now that it is pretty much impossible to sneak ANYTHING out now.

It is funny that all of a sudden all the fantastic error notes have just disappeared....   ;)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 02:53:12 pm by X-Savior »

Sorry Ladies...I am now a Married Man!!!
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 02:43:54 pm »

Do you all realize that I get 75% of the tuition fees for everyone that has to enroll in sarcasm classes.  Looks like 2 more students will be enrolling.
Boy this is an easy way to make money.

FRIEDSQUID

PS All newcomers must bring coffee and donuts.

only4teeth
  • Forum Moderators
  • CPMS Member 1489
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 02:55:39 pm »

Here we go with the old guys teasing the young guys again :)
actuary6
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 03:11:02 pm »

I just received this email today. All I asked is if I could use my camcorder to film a personal documentry of me taking an unguided tour through the printing process a Canadian Banknote.

FRIEDSQUID

Where is the sarcasm?  It is not clear at all to me.  Maybe I need classes in identifying sarcasm, but I'd say you need classes in learning how to use sarcasm!

Can I propose we eliminate the use of sarcasm in this forum?  It just doesn't come off well without hearing the tone in one's voice...
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
  • Been There, Done That.... Wanna do it again?
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2007, 03:31:28 pm »

Can I propose we eliminate the use of sarcasm in this forum?  It just doesn't come off well without hearing the tone in one's voice...

Well, Brent is a Computer Wiz, I am sure he could develop some "Tone-i-Cons" to be used in conjunction with "Emot-i-Cons"

;D

Sorry Ladies...I am now a Married Man!!!
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2007, 06:02:06 pm »

BEFORE I HEAR ANYMORE COMPLAINTS THE QUOTE IS AN ACTUAL QUOTE I RECEIVED FROM THE BOC IN REGARDS TO A QUESTION I HAD ASKED ABOUT FP AND BP NUMBERS AS WELL AS A PRODUCTION QUESTION. PLEASE IGNORE THE REST.
APOLOGIES TO THOSE THAT TOOK THIS THE WRONG WAY

FRIEDSQUID

« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 06:47:54 pm by friedsquid »

Login with username, password and session length