Author
Topic: How many collectors are trying to assemble complete prefix sets?  (Read 5345 times)
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« on: November 15, 2007, 01:23:52 pm »

The recent discussions concerning the rare HNB prefix of the $5 1986 Birds issue made me start wondering about how many collectors are actually trying to locate an example of each and every prefix ever issued for any given type note.  In the case of the $5 1986 Birds note, well over 200 distinct prefixes were issued and it would be a formidable challenge to obtain one of each, especially in UNC (face value over $1000!). How many people actually possess a complete or near-complete set of the 200+ different prefixes of this issue?? And what about the other denominations ... $1, $2, $10, etc. ?!

The above thoughts led me to wonder about why some collectors are willing to pay huge amounts for the rarest prefixes. Do they buy them in order to complete their prefix sets or for other reasons? Personally speaking, I suspect that there are very few collectors out there who are collecting entire prefix sets of pre-Journey notes although I'm sure there are some. I therefore conclude that the demand for the rarest prefixes comes from "trophy" collectors, i.e., those collectors who are only interested in what is rare and which few people can ever expect to own? Am I right or wrong?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 09:01:27 pm by BWJM »

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 02:53:52 pm »

I therefore conclude that the demand for the rarest prefixes comes from "trophy" collectors, i.e., those collectors who are only interested in what is rare and which few people can ever expect to own? Am I right or wrong?

I would tend to agree with you.  I for one cannot afford most (ok ALL) of these higher end so called "trophy" notes, but obviously if I could,  I would love to have them.
However, I have always preferred the 1935, 1937, and 1954 issues, so that would be where my money would be spent. (If I had some to spend) For now, I pray every time I am fortunate enough to get a brick and get what I can at face. 8)

FRIEDSQUID

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
jay4e
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 04:36:12 pm »

I would tend to agree with you.  I for one cannot afford most (ok ALL) of these higher end so called "trophy" notes.

I have been trying for years to put together a collection of $2.00 - 1986 Bird notes, there are approximately 192 different notes if you do not go into minute varieties. I have had most of them for about 5 years but not necessarily in UNC. I finally got them all in AU/UNC just lately.  I am missing only the 3 "trophy" notes. These 3 will remain missing in my collection because I will never pay the prices asked for them.

A few years back, I attended the CNA in Edmonton and I saw with my own eyes a collector show another collector a book with literally dozens of these 3 "trophy" notes in it. Up until that time, the Charlton catalogue was like a bible to me.

Now, I must say that Charlton only prints the information that they are provided with.  And the pricing goes along with that information. Contributors to the Charlton do not necessarily have all the information. I would not go so far as to say that they would manipulate that information for personal gain. I could never prove any of it anyway. But since then, I tend to take Charlton with a grain of salt, mind you I still purchase it regularly for the information that it does contain.

Now, I tend to keep my eyes and ears open at shows, you can learn a lot from other collectors about what is not in the Charlton catalogue.

OK, I have finished my rant!

Some days you're the bug and some days you're the windshield!
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 05:44:07 pm »

I think this is an interesting topic.  I've always found it fascinating what and how people collect paper money.

I remember when I first heard about prefix collectors. I was at a show and marvelling at their fortitude, staying power, and budget when a collector with a book of numbers came up to the table.  I had to ask "are you a prefix collector?" and he acknowledged that he was.  "How do you do it?"  I asked (in terms of money, storage, etc) and he gave me the long story.  Then he said the key was hiding his collection from his wife!  I thought this was hilarious -- but could well imagine how another person couldn't relate to such an extensive collection.  Most prefix collectors I've met (besides young Journey collectors) are collecting 1937 or 1954 $1.00 notes.

Personally, I can't even collect all the replacements of any one series.  For one thing, I'm always constrained by a budget-- so I have many strategies involved in attaining what I wish to attain.  For one: I will often get 2 of the same prefix if I can get them at a reduced price.  I will then sell the extra later-- and put that money towards a prefix I've been wanting.   I have bought a lot of notes that I don't really need hoping to invest in notes I wish to attain.

I don't know how others feel-- but I find Cdn money too interesting to collect just one series or one denomination.  I suppose if I focussed more on one -- I  would be better off.  Instead-- I've decided to narrow in on $20 and lower denominations.   I also try to keep it at 1935 and up.

As far as other collectors go:  Some I know only collect Birds or Journeys.  Others are really into birthday notes, or special numbers, while others focus more on errors.  Just about everyone I know have what would be called a basic collection (one UNC of each denomination) and then they concentrate on change-overs, short prefixes, errors, radars of a certain series.

gus5pin
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 05:46:21 pm »

Well being at this for 30 years now collecting UNC prefixes took over after getting signatures. I don't really care if it was a common note or a replacement/insert note I just put one aside or bought one not for the investment but just owning as many prefixes as possible.

Since the Journey notes that as even changed to making it a radar of a prefix. Like mentionned before some trophy notes are sometimes not attainable but I see myself like a kid at times in a candy store when I see one. Of the 426 1973$1 prefixes I know I will never get the big 5 replacements and that even in much less than UNC but having made it to 419 of them in UNC has made me happy.

I can say the same about my '74's $2, 86's $2 and $5 but doing the prefixes keeps me looking and searching and in love with the collecting of banknotes. I think because of it I never have or will leave the hobby.

Yes it is still a hobby but you sure can do a lot when the house is paid off and the kids move on in life.

Denis

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 06:23:26 pm »

My 13 year old daughter seems to be taking to collecting banknotes and I don't know if it is the satisfaction of having a stash of cash in her closet or the actual fascination of the Canadian banknote. I have with the help of brick searching and some forum members to assemble a number of prefixes for her collection and she now starts to look at her bills when she goes to the bank or gets some extra cash. It is getting very apparent to people that she is really my daughter because of her intense focus while looking at a crumbled bill and asking me "Is this a special one....If it is it's mine...I found it"
I think at this age starting to collect prefixes of the $5.00 Journey notes is relatively the cheapest way to start since most UNC bills are received at face.
In some ways it is a forced savings for her. Recently she has tried to replace a regular prefix with a radar of the same prefix and this atleast gives the note a little more value.  The only thing is that the way the notes keep coming out it is hard for her to keep up on a 10 cent a week allowance ;D Hey if I give her anymore how can I keep collecting. ;D

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 07:49:53 pm »

Been there. It would be cool to collect every prefix but each does series have its share of tough and pricy trophy notes to get.

I naturally started prefixes when I didn't have a collecting plan in Canadian Banknotes other than radars, replacements, and interesting numbers . Then I gave up prefixes because it really conflicted with radars, replacements, and other interesting numbers so I’m back where I started. 

I feel as if my life is going around in circles mon.  :P
PD

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon
coinboy
  • CPMS # 1351
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 09:48:03 pm »

I started collecting years ago saving circulated bills and what ever I came across.
In the mid 90's i thought it would be neat to try and get on of each prefix of the bird 5's, but I was always interested in the'54 $1. so as well as continuing collecting $5's I have assembled almost a complete prefix collection of '54 1's. Out of the 200 regular prefixes i'm still looking for 12. Mine is an economy collection so I can't pop for the tough * notes
Some time ago the prefix collecting morphed into matching, interesting #s and radars.
I have found it easier to match serial #'s if they are radar or interesting #'s.
Eg. 1222222  or 3333313. People tend to hand on to interesting #'s more so than a 7 digit random #, Go ahead try matching any random # it's not easy, I search an infamous auction site endlessly and find zip.
Any how now u know what I know.

gendis
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 11:48:22 pm »

Nobody has mentioned the 1967 Centennial $1 notes.  It's the one series that relatively easy to complete even in UNC (although quite difficult in GEM UNC)
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 03:01:14 am »

My $1 1973 prefixes is two only.  Not like two away from full, but two in total:

BCW 3699941
and
BCZ 3699941

You want to talk about searching for a needle in a haystack!  Got the matching pair to one after recording nearly 5000 notes.  BWJM wasa witness and associate in the endeavor -CJSidewall as well...

Same serial number, random, and only two prefixes apart!

I am sorry- I HAD to post that... it is a fav of mine :-)

I tried going for a radar prefiix set of Journey $5s, and tobe honest, I zipped through the SD box, and if I hadn't sod one or two of this or that, I had every one of them. :-)  Up to HPA and APA.

Ahh then came the move. :-) and :-(
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 03:03:55 am by Hudson A B »

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
starman
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 03:09:33 pm »

A couple years back I chanced upon a 1973 *FB note at the local coin store and figuring I had one of the "keys" I decided to try and collect all the 1973 replacements. Well now I'm down to missing only 4. I've also found the best way to collect anything is to NOT let the wife know about it.

Login with username, password and session length