Author
Topic: Will be Vacationing in Canada later this year  (Read 3353 times)
Jimb
« on: July 19, 2012, 08:54:01 am »

This may be a silly question but hoping someone can assist. I have some older Bank of Canada currency dated from 1967 to 1986.  $1, $2, $5, $20 and $50. Is this currency still usable? Many of the bills are well worn and I doubt would be of interest to a collector. Just wondering if they can be spent?   

Thanks in advance.
Jim
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 10:11:17 am »

Yes, the Bank of Canada has issued currency here since 1935 and it all remains legal tender, however you would be best off going to any Canadian bank once you're here and swapping your old notes for current issue ones.  A retailer might give you a hard time with older issue notes.

The big 5 banks in Canada (in no particular order) are RBC Royal Bank, TD Canada Trust, Scotiabank, CIBC and BMO Bank of Montreal.  In the case of your $1 and $2 notes, unless you have at least $5 or $10 worth, you will get $1 and $2 coins since our paper money starts at the $5 note.

Jimb
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 04:09:41 pm »

Thanks for the info! I appreciate you replying so quickly. I thought the older bills were still valid but could not find anything to confirm that anywhere. Good suggestion to swap the bills at a bank.

Again, thank you. Looking forward to our visit to Ontario next month. 

Login with username, password and session length