Author
Topic: Pricing Anomaly  (Read 4683 times)
standeasy
« on: November 02, 2006, 06:32:36 pm »

Can anyone enlighten me on the pricing anomaly of BC-55, prefix CBH. I think it is odd that BC-55b (6,720,000.)  has a greater value than BC- 55c (3,280,000.) I almost sure that other examples exist but this one has been on my mind for a couple of years now. There is, in all probability a very good reason.

CPMS 557
rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS member 1221, ONA life member, CAND President
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 09:02:25 pm »

Original printing numbers are only a general guideline. Popularity, demand, numbers available have a larger impact than original pinting numbers. Similar to mintage figures from the RCM for coins. Many notes are worn out or destroyed and no one wants the worn ones very much.

Rick
Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 10:37:08 am »

I think another reason is that when the $2 note was being widthdrawn there was alot of people searching for Bonin signed X- notes as they were quite scarce and valuable. So because of this many more Bonin/Thiessen CBH notes were saved.

Gary_T
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 01:04:09 pm »

A similar analogy could be said for the Journey Knight/Thiessen FDZ $10 vs the Knight/Dodge FDZ.  

Although there's many more K/T notes (.6M PRINTED) than K/D notes (.4M PRINTED) the K/T are much scarcer because no one knew in advance that this prefix would experience a signature change-over.  Also the #'s printed are an estimate.

Once the new signature came out everyone hoarded or collected the latter (K/D) FDZ signature notes in pristine UNC condition.  Its much harder to find UNC K/T notes.   A similar principle holds for many change-overs including the CBH $2.00

« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 01:05:46 pm by walktothewater »

Login with username, password and session length