Author
Topic: Will scanner manufacturers implement anti-banknote scanning?  (Read 5530 times)
d_polo
  • Paper Money is art!
« on: August 09, 2007, 01:05:25 pm »

I'm kind of worried that eventually, scanners will have built in, hardwired/coded chips anti-counterfeiting whereas when you try to scan in a banknote, it will prevent you from doing so. Even if you use an older photo editing program that doesn't have the anti-banknote scanning feature. I like to scan my notes to keep a record of my notes, also to be able to view my notes without touching the originals again. So far a lot of newer software programs prevent you from scanning banknotes, but haven't seen that feature on the hardware level yet. But will that day come?
bwho9d
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 03:04:51 pm »

They might eventually implement it. Some smarter computer experts might invent firmware to bypass it...The EURion constellation is only on the Journey series so you can scan your older notes with no problem.

Currently, the EURion constellation prevents software like Photoshop from trying to read the image data. If you want a removal patch, contact Canada-Banknotes.

You might get something similar to this:
{http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/17/CDSError.PNG}

I suggest you move this post to the General Forum
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 03:08:11 pm by Neon Zidane »
kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 09:29:53 am »

I beleive if you buy an all in one printer scanner then you might have more trouble. I remember a while back that these printers had some prevention on scanning banknotes where it would blur it up. I have always purchased a few regular scanners and they all seam to work fine.

It would be difficult for the firmware of the scanner to try and recognize every possible currency, especially those that are yet to be issued. How far back would they go as well? I don't think it would be worth the effort to stop you from scanning 1954 or earlier notes. 

The scanners are not the problem the printers are! ha ha ;)

KC's Canadian Currency
AL-Bob
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 12:08:09 pm »

I'm kind of worried that eventually, scanners will have built in, hardwired/coded chips anti-counterfeiting whereas when you try to scan in a banknote, it will prevent you from doing so. Even if you use an older photo editing program that doesn't have the anti-banknote scanning feature. I like to scan my notes to keep a record of my notes, also to be able to view my notes without touching the originals again. So far a lot of newer software programs prevent you from scanning banknotes, but haven't seen that feature on the hardware level yet. But will that day come?

Who do they really think they are fooling anyways?

With the numerous security features that are on  notes these days, counterfeiting is a very sophisticated and involved task. Limitations built-in to certain commercial hardware or software will always be easy to by-pass by someone dedicated to the task.

Unnecessarily increasing the complexity of a program invariably increases the number of bugs and execution time. The result is that the "cracked" version becomes superior to the standard one. I have to say I don't have much respect for companies who voluntarily inconvenience their legitimate users in the name of some futile endeavor to thwart criminals. It only shows a profound disrespect for their users.

This is very similar in philosophy to the (useless) anti-copying protection built into programs and DVDs.  I'll relate a personal anecdote:

My Dad recently returned to architecture school. Through some grant he managed to purchase some very expensive design program.  To discourage illegal copying this program went so far as to force the user to carry around a special USB key that had to be be inserted in the computer every time it was used! My Dad was the joke of the class with his legit program as everyone else had a hacked version that loaded twice as fast without the special key.

You can bet he wasn't going to spend money on another "real" version of that program...

As far as scanning notes is concerned, I would suggest using a digital camera (with macro option) instead. You are probably less likely to damage your notes this way and can actually get better images under proper lighting. The original waves and embossing as well as minute defects are almost impossible to see in scanned images which "flatten" the image by shining their light directly onto the note whereas a skilled photograph can show the note even better than seen in person!

AL-Bob(at)cdnpapermoney com
d_polo
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 08:32:54 pm »

Well I found something that confirms my suspicion about anti-currency protection built in. Here is a link about a review of a Cannon scanner, go to scan tests a bit halfway down the page, also I included a quote from the review:

http://www.dealtime.com/xPR-DPI-CanoScan-LiDE-70-Scan-with-simplicity-style~RD-278020329092

Scan Tests

"A standard image that rarely changes is a consistent way to test scanners, if not all imaging equipment, throughout the years. Currency has strict printing standards, is easily accessible, and highly reproducible. Alas, scanners and printers have also created a problem with amateur counterfeiters. Canon, HP, Adobe are among others who have voluntarily embedded software to refuse to scan modern currency from various countries, but they do not readily publicize this restriction.

The currency detection system in the LiDE 70 generates a TWAIN driver error rather than a message that states scanning of currency is prohibited. However, it will scan older currency and any other print material without issue. Unfortunately, for us 'old dogs' of technology that reach for currency as a test subject, the TWAIN error drove to me troubleshoot drivers, hardware, and software to check for errors. I later confirmed the currency detector with Canon. It is not documented in their website."

Login with username, password and session length