Author
Topic: 1937 Canadian 10 Dollar Bank Note  (Read 10455 times)
Buffalo
« on: December 27, 2011, 08:14:16 pm »

Was at the beer store tonight and a old man tried buying beer with this note. Guy at cashier wouldnt take it , so I did for 10 bucks..odd ..but what is it worth with the serial number starting with MT  Signed by Coyne and Towers and in amazing shape for the year  Printed Jan 2 1937
Whats the value of this note..must be more than 10 bucks    ::)
JB-2007
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 09:25:38 pm »

Very interesting story... He should have kept it.
This was the last issued prefix for the 1937 series, and its a short-run note with around 2,960,000 printed. Note will be worth $45 in EF, $110 in AU and $230 in UNC. Pretty good for a $10 purchase!
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 01:06:00 am »

I was in a similar predicament about 20 years ago when I was in high school and short of cash to buy a Father's Day gift.  I had a 1937 Gordon-Towers $10 note in VF/EF condition and the cashier at Shopper's Drug Mart wouldn't take it, but then she had the pharmacist (an older guy) look at it and he gave her the OK.  So I was able to get the cologne for my dad for Father's Day after all!  ^-^

I don't care so much about losing that commonplace note.  However I still kick myself from time to time for selling a Choice to Gem UNC $2 *UG replacement note in 1990 for $20.  I thought I got a good deal since I only paid $4.50 for it several years earlier, until I saw the catalogue value a couple years ago was around $300!!

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 01:00:54 pm »

I am not sure what is meant by "amazing shape for the year".  Just because it's an old note, doesn't mean it has to look older than the guy spending it.

And 20 years ago, a 1937 Gordon-Towers $10 note in mid grade wasn't worth anything. I remember seeing someone spend a 1937 $50 note back at that time.  That, too, had little premium at the time, and still isn't worth a whole lot depending on grade.

By shear coincidence, I picked up a $10 Coyne-Towers note too, but mine is a 1954 series Devil's Face note.  A friendly cashier gave me that note and 3 Beattie-Coyne DF notes for face value.  Seems to be a lot of people spending old money after the holidays!  And my notes could also be described as "amazing shape for the year", if that means anything.  ;D

No hay banda  

Login with username, password and session length