Author
Topic: One Thousand Dollar Bills  (Read 11664 times)
mmm
« on: August 13, 2008, 12:43:42 pm »

Hello,   Could someone please tell me if they know what a Canadian Thousand Dollar Bill is worth and what is the best and most safest way of selling them and to who or whom?  Thank you.   ???
1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 01:16:53 pm »

Welcome to the forum!,

In order to tell you the value you will have to tell us what year this note is.

I suggest you post a scan of the note.

If you are trying to sell this note why don't you post it in the "Trading Post" section of this forum?

mmm
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 08:47:30 pm »

Hi,

Here is the front and back of one of the 1000 dollar bills. If this doesn't work I'll have to ask for some help.

[attachment deleted by admin]
alvin5454
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 10:29:22 pm »

This note, with its condition and number and prefix will only be worth more than its face value will be if you invest it wisely, such as in an RRSP.
mmm
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 01:12:35 pm »

I'm a total novice when it comes to collecting currency.  I was always under the impression that if they aren't making any more the value would go up over time, but perhaps not in my lifetime.
I also have five more 1000 dollar bills, but those are signed by B. Bonin or Banin as the first signature and the second signature towards the centre of the bill is the same as the one I posted above (hard to make out).  On the back the numbers are EKA3008901, EKA3008902 EKA3008904, EKA3202860, EKA2655251.  Are these just serial numbers and if so how do they effect the value?  Thanks for helping.  ???
mmm
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 02:27:34 pm »

Hi, I just spoke with a very reputable dealer and he told me that they would give me $200.00 for this bill, and not to put it in the bank or RRSP where it's only worth face value.  Perhaps I will post it on the "Trading Post" page.  Thanks again.
alvin5454
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 02:48:24 pm »

good luck
Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 03:20:59 pm »

I think if you can get $200 above face for this note in the scan from a reputable dealer you should take it.

The other ones may be more collectible if in better shape and in sequence.

Gary_T
mmm
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 06:23:17 pm »

Hi,  Sorry about the picture.  My printer is about to die on me, but the note I posted above is in excellent to pristine condition.   The other bills that I have are signed by B. Bonin on the left and the other signature which I'm having trouble making out is the same as the signature on the one I posted above.  I posted the numbers from the back of them as well above, but I was told that these are only worth $20.00 above face.  So now I am  really confused.
Can anyone clear this up for me.  Thanks 
nova7415
  • Errors are the best as there are only 1 of a kind
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 10:29:31 pm »

Hope this will clear things up a bit for you :-\. Recently on eBay these 1000's have sold in the region of 1200.00 up to 1400.00 in AU condition. As for your "dealer" offering you 1020.00 >:(...... I would first try listing 1 on eBay, with a  reasonable reserve of 1300.00, and a starting price of .99 and see what happens. Best of luck 8).
mmm
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 01:37:04 am »

Really?? ???  Starting as low as .99 with such a high reserve?  :o  I also saw someone who posted on this site about selling on eBay and the purchaser claimed that there was a rip of some sort and he wanted his money back as well as wanting to keep the bill.  He also went as far as to threaten the seller with a negative feedback if the seller didn't do as he asked.  Since eBay has changed their policy in regards to leaving feedback's, only the buyer is able to leave a negative feedback.  >:(  My biggest concern would be loosing a $1000.00 to this kind of buyer.   How can a seller protect themselves from this kind of buyer and are there any safe or safer place to try and sell the bill?  All help is most appreciated.
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 01:42:59 am »

How can a seller protect themselves from this kind of buyer ...

Boycotte ebay.

Bring your notes to this forum here.  Get known around the circuit , and on this site.

Ebay though, toss it out.   SOMETIMES ebay is good, but it is not designed for the seller. Sellers have really no support IMO on that site.

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
mmm
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 11:12:45 am »

Thanks again to all that have replied.  Perhaps I will try to post it here.  So now the question is how to begin?  ???  Being a complete novice in the numismatist area and this site, perhaps someone can walk me through the posting procedure, along with how to list and view the bill in the best way possible.   :-\
Newfie Nightmare
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Forum Moderators
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2008, 10:13:56 am »

The topic right before this one, is "The Trading Post", I would suggest taking a look at some of the other bills that people have posted for sale, and seeing which format you like the best, then just follow their lead.  As far as price, you can give a specific price that you want for it, and possiably include that you'll take best offer, if that's an option; or you could give a deadline, and take the highest bid that you get by that deadline (be sure to include date and time, and what time zone since this is a national site). 

The most important part is to be as specific as you can be with the condition, mention anything that makes it less than perfect.

hope this helps
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 11:05:57 pm »

Hi there MMM:

You should first get to know a bit about your imaging software (eg MGI Photosuite) and see if you can crop (or trim) your scan so that people online can view the note up close rather than a lot of white background on a large file.  Good images will do wonders in advertising your note and ensuring the buyer (or bidder) feels confident in what he's buying.

Next, you can list your notes on the Trading Post (as recommended by NN below) or other online auctions with the scans and take his advice in describing the note to the best of your ability.  I suspect most forum members prefer an asking price so they know how much they can negotiate with you or whether they're interested or not.  Also many members have excellent results when they do put their notes up in an auction style bidding which ends on a certain date (provided you get a reserve price).

Remember to be as honest as you can be to save yourself grief down the road (the problem with some online auctions is deceptive selling practices-- as you mentioned earlier).   One of the reasons $1000 notes aren't very popular amongst many collectors is because of the commissions and final fees, and charges for such a high denomination making the profit on the sales minimal.

Lastly, you may wish to insist on an Interac Email Money transfer so that you have your money in hand before sending the note by Xpress or more secure postal options. 

Best of Luck!

Login with username, password and session length