Author
Topic: 1973 Bank of Canada $1 solid number notes from '1' to '9'  (Read 10905 times)
jcpl
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2009, 07:23:38 am »

True, bulk lots are quite often discounted or a package deal.

A set of solids  isn't quite the same category, in fact they may be regarded as a premium as complete sets are quite a bit scarcer than single notes.

that's quite true, in fact to have a full set definitely is harder than any single note!
rjms768
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2009, 01:39:39 am »

Why is this?

Why should I add a premium to buy a set of solid notes?

I've never understood that.  I could understand it if the set had matching prefixes (for example, all notes prefix A/A, which would make it extremely hard to compile), or it was like #1 - #10 in a series (which is hard to find).

I don't see why I should pay more for a set, than if I just bought each note individually and compiled my own set myself.  It's not like sets are rare or hard to get; I see at least 2 solid numbered sets at every coin show I've been to, so I don't see any reason to pay more than each note would be worth individually.

Can someone explain?
numismateer
  • Paper Money is History! it's plastic now
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2009, 10:24:36 am »

Well maybe it would be better stated that no seller would discount a complete set much from the individual price. And to break it up would seem offensive to some.

Login with username, password and session length