Author
Topic: Mylar Sleeves  (Read 4658 times)
Oli1001
  • Very Senior Member
  • www.CanadianCurrency.ca
    • Canadian Currency
« on: June 25, 2006, 04:53:23 pm »

Ok. I know that Mylar sleeves are the best quality note holder on the market. It is said that over a long period of time the other holders, or at least some of the other holders, will decompose/discolour and potentially exposing your note to a variety of problems. I am not challenging the material used rather am interested whether or not the 'wave' at the bottom of the holder would warp the note over time. On the bottom border of the holder there usually is a slight wave - some worse than others - leading me to believe that this might result in a wave in my notes - especially the UNC ones. Don't get me wrong, I love the waves, in a crowded stadium or in the water, but no particularly on my notes!

Has anyone found that this 'wave' causes any harm to their notes? I realize that this wave might not affect the notes but a holder that is made to protect my flat note yet the sleeve itself is not perfectly flat when laid horizontally leaves me to wonder. I also thought about placing the Mylar sleeve inside a dominion size sleeve but that is not very cost affective.

To answer my own question I placed a GemUnc $20 journey note, of no value, into the holder and will keep it there for 2 weeks - then I will draw a personal conclusion from there. But for now I would like some input.
koremore
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 05:39:03 pm »

As a recent purchaser of the Mylar Sleeves, I would be curious as to the results of your experiment.  Please keep the forum posted.

koremore
koremore
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 04:03:11 pm »

Two weeks has passed - what's the scoop?
Tom
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS Life Member #96
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 04:17:54 pm »

If you are talking about the holders that Brent has been getting, I have all of my notes in them, and for many years now.  I have not found any damage to my notes from that slight wave on the bottom.  I find that the holders singly have a wave but when you put them all together in a stack, the wave straightens out.

Tom
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 04:18:47 pm by Tom »

Oli1001
  • Very Senior Member
  • www.CanadianCurrency.ca
    • Canadian Currency
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 04:48:35 pm »

I agree with Tom, the notes have no wave when removed from the mylar holders. Case closed.
polarbear
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 05:04:10 pm »

regarding the Mylar sleeves.  i am putting my good notes in mylar and then in the harder plastic casing that.  Is that ok or should I keep it just the  mylars?

Looking for your thoughts

polarbear
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 06:47:45 pm »

I use just the Mylar sleeves, as they are very convenient to store. If you are going to be handling the sleeves frequently (ie: notes NOT stored in a safety deposit box), an extra harder sleeve may add some extra durability for day to day handling.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 10:24:52 pm »

I have observed that over very long periods of time (probably 10 years or more) any significant waviness in the holder, whether it's made of Mylar or any other material, WILL generally be transferred to the notes. The amount of distortion of the notes will depend to a significant extent on the condition of the note. In particular, low-grade notes will be affected much less than high-grade notes.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 11:49:12 pm by Ottawa »

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2006, 11:06:04 pm »

any significant waviness in the holder, whether it's made of Mylar or any other material, WILL generally be tranferred to the notes.
Yes, I've noticed that too...
That is why I'm a stickler for a good note holder.  I will put my lower grade notes in the more flexible cheaper holders, and my higher grade notes in the better holder.  I just make sure there is nothing that will create any wave or indentation on the notes when I store them in my binders.  Have had no problems with keeping the notes in holders, and in good binder pages.  My binders have straight (rather than round) rings.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 11:09:50 pm by walktothewater »

Login with username, password and session length