Author
Topic: Buying bricks  (Read 6162 times)
stevepot99
  • Pushing the boundaries
« on: June 08, 2006, 07:58:41 pm »

where would someone go to get a brick of notes (i.e. your bank ,bank of canada,etc) and what are the costs of the bricks , face value, or are there fees attached . And how do you know if they have been picked thru or not
buxvet
  • Is there anybody in the ceremony is about to begin
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 09:07:23 pm »

I'm sure someone else can tell you for sure but I always assumed that you have to order them in advance from a bank. I imagine any bank can do it or maybe you have to go to a larger commercial banking branch. Probably depends on the bank and the branch. I highly doubt there are any fees. I always thought a brick comes wrapped in plastic ?
gendis
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 10:25:37 pm »

I purchased a brick of Jenkins-Dodge $5 notes at the main branch of CIBC in Winnipeg several years ago.  If I recall correctly there was a fee of $13.50.  I can't remember the packaging.  There were no inserts but I did receive the a 4-digit radar that is guaranteed if it is a continuous run.  The value of the radar probably covered the handling fee but I haven't repeated the exercise.  Now if I could find a brick of 1954s .....
buxvet
  • Is there anybody in the ceremony is about to begin
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 10:27:10 pm »

I purchased a brick of Jenkins-Dodge $5 notes at the main branch of CIBC in Winnipeg several years ago.  If I recall correctly there was a fee of $13.50.  I can't remember the packaging.  There were no inserts but I did receive the a 4-digit radar that is guaranteed if it is a continuous run.  The value of the radar probably covered the handling fee but I haven't repeated the exercise.  Now if I could find a brick of 1954s .....

How many notes in a $ 5 Brick. 100,500,1000???
Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 10:46:21 pm »

There are 1000 notes in a brick,and there is 1 radar note in every 1000 notes.

Gary_T
Oli1001
  • Very Senior Member
  • www.CanadianCurrency.ca
    • Canadian Currency
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 11:34:02 pm »

One radar for every thousand notes, therefore in theory there should be one 1 radar in every brick, though not always the case with these viciously mixed bricks.
Manada
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 11:56:28 pm »

Well my branch has been charging me $20 a brick, and I havent had an insert in over 16 bricks now. I havent even had a radar in the last 5 bricks. Now TD is charging $60 a month to deposit my cash back on top of my fees, plus the account fees.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 11:57:22 pm by Manada »

But always, there remained the discipline of steel. - Conan the Barbarian
rew150
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2006, 06:54:36 pm »

and here i thought this site was a note collecting site, not a bank bashing one....
i've never charged anyone a fee to purchase bricks of cash, but if they dont pick it up it goes into our regular cycle....the problem is we cant pick and choose what we order (i cant ask for new 100's ex.) unless we pay extra and then i would pass the fee onto the consumer.
so it can be a pain if we dont always get new bricks delivered.

Manada
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2006, 07:32:01 pm »

I am most certainly not bank bashing. I love my branch they are great to me. The question was whether there are any fees for bricks, and I simply answered also thinking out loud, realizing how expensive brick searching is becoming these days.

But always, there remained the discipline of steel. - Conan the Barbarian

Login with username, password and session length