Author
Topic: Canada is no $5 coin  (Read 6076 times)
suretteda
« on: September 20, 2006, 09:02:13 pm »

Coinage in Canada

[size=18]LOONIE, TOONIE, FOONIE[/size]

By William Bedford

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

The thing that used to bug me most when traveling in foreign climes was the size, weight and number of coins that I had to lug around in my fragile Canadian pockets.

There were times, especially in the British Isles, when I felt that I was walking with a limp from the sheer weight of their oversized coins. It wouldn’t have been so bad if the weight of the coins reflected their value, but their purchasing power was very light.

The countries with oversize coins are finally coming to their senses, and downsizing them. The European Common Market’s new currency, the euro, is a step in the right direction. Meanwhile, here at home, where the coinage used to be of a practical size, we are going in the other direction. Since we replaced the sensible two-dollar bill with the toonie, everyone complains about being weighed down with a pocketful of the medallions that pass for money.

I guess that some faceless bureaucrat in Ottawa or, this being Canada, more likely a committee with nothing better to do, decided that we were getting a little too cranky about the GST, and that if they added more weight to our pockets and purses, it might make us feel better off than we really are.

Actually, the loonie wasn’t such a bad idea, because it was a nuisance having to round up a handful of quarters for vending machines. However, there was no reason whatsoever for replacing the two-dollar bill with the hated toonie. (Incidentally, the U.S. is going to re-issue a paper two-dollar denomination). Besides, the government could have used plastic instead of paper to make two-dollar bill, as they do in Australia. And if the government is all that concerned about the high cost of making money, it should either abolish the one cent coin, which they say costs a cent and a half to mint, or offer the public one hundred and ten dollars for every hundred dollars in pennies that they turn in.

According to the bank people, there are tens of millions of pennies lying around in drawers and jars. I know of one woman who has been throwing her pennies into a huge box for over 30 years. So you can see that this project would save a mint, so to speak..

Getting back to the loonie, it quickly gained acceptance because it is light, octagonal, and of a different colour than the other coins. The toonie, however, is a coin of a different colour, altogether. For openers, it’s too heavy and it looks like some kind of a sports-medal. Anyway, the government should either buy our one-cent coins, make two-dollar bills out of plastic, or think up a plan B of its own. It doesn’t matter how they do it, just so long as they deep-six the hated toonie.

What’s that you say? The government is thinking of replacing the five-dollar bill with a foonie? Get outa here!

http://www.canadafreepress.com/2006/bedford082306.htm
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 09:23:27 pm by suretteda »
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 09:06:20 pm »

My revenues from metal detecting would go through the roof!  Just like when they intoduced the Loonie and then the Toonie!  ::)

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
suretteda
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 09:09:12 pm »

CBC News - August 28, 2006

Plans by the Mint for a possible $5 coin to replace the $5 bill were scrapped last year after a government-commissioned poll found little support for such a move, despite the savings to be had.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/money/national/2006/08/28/toonie.html
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 09:18:14 pm »

Well if the Foonie ever does materialize I think I will flee to the U.S. (that would be an interesting switch since we've become home to many U.S. draft-dodgers).

And then once I get all settled into the United States, I will suggest the idea of a $10 coin (the "Teenie") and a $20 coin (the "Tweenie").  At the moment I can't think up a name for a $50 and $100 coin... [smiley=evil.gif]

Just kidding...I expect that a Canuck who was caught suggesting such a horrid thing would have to be placed under the witness protection program, wherever he lived. :D

Oli1001
  • Very Senior Member
  • www.CanadianCurrency.ca
    • Canadian Currency
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 09:59:20 pm »

Hey Huds, a $5 coin would mean no more $5 radars!
buxvet
  • Is there anybody in the ceremony is about to begin
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 10:33:36 pm »

I really hope not. We have enough coin in our pockets as it is
alvin5454
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 03:29:57 pm »

Please, let's not politicize this forum
rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS member 1221, ONA life member, CAND President
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 12:15:45 pm »

Canada has had plenty of $5 coins over the years.
1912 $5 gold, Montreal Olympics $5 silver slug, Silver Maple Leafs, 1/10 gold maple leafs, and a host of Numismatic coins with the denomination of $5. Only the 1912-14 gold coins circulated to any extent.

We need a modern $5 coin like we need a hole in the head. It serves no usefull purpose unless all the vending machine manufacturers are prepared to use them and spent the millions needed to convert existing machines.

The $5 note serves us well right now.

Rick

Login with username, password and session length