Author
Topic: auction houses  (Read 3794 times)
starman
  • Paper Money is Art!
« on: April 01, 2008, 06:52:23 pm »

I was just wondering, If a guy was thinking of unloading his collection. Which auction house would be the best to go with, and why?Thanks for any input.
50monarch
  • Every note gets me one step closer to Cayman
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 08:06:19 pm »

Not the answer you wanted...but why not list the collection on this forum and let the members have first crack at the collection in whole or in part.
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 02:25:02 am »

Not the answer you wanted...but why not list the collection on this forum and let the members have first crack at the collection in whole or in part.
I agree with this.

Save fees galore as well.

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
starman
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 03:38:08 am »

I was kind of thinking about the whole collection going, not someone cherrypicking.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 10:43:38 am »

A few years ago, someone inherited a whole pile of notes from his mother who passed away. He came to the forums here and one way or another we set up an arrangement whereby I would coordinate the sale of his notes in exchange for a commission. We managed to sell almost all of the notes that had any particular premium, and the rest ultimately went back to the bank as they were simply worth face value. I believe it worked out well for both parties involved, and I would be interested in doing something similar again.

If you want to talk about this further, please send me a PM. Thx

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 01:37:55 pm »

If your looking for auction houses then you may want to check out the Torex Auctions held 2-3 times yearly or Heritage Auctions. Your notes will have coverage from thousands of registered members.

Torex comission = 10%
Heritage comissio = 15%

Ebay seams popular for certain notes.

Brents offer also seams ver generous

Regards

Jason

KC's Canadian Currency
Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 06:50:00 pm »

Sorry, I missed the thread before Brent locked it up. :'(

If I were selling my collection I wouldn't mind selling it part by part unless the whole collection itself were strictly related in theme and relevance. I can't foresee selling my collection to change hands in it's entirety unless I simply pass it on to my kids. Anyway, even if a dealer does buy the whole collections they will eventually sold piece by piece and to find someone that could truly appreciate it would be difficult. Best bet would be in group and sets, and near the end you may have a remainder that would go as a bulk sale. I feel there is nothing wrong with putting a given sale on the POST and set a Reserve price and a Closing date, best offer gets it. Keep it simple.

Or as the case now, keeping it simple by paying someone to do it for you.

Dei Gratia

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon

Login with username, password and session length