Author
Topic: OT: 1999 Coloured Gold Maple Leaf Set  (Read 4164 times)
admin
  • Administrator
« on: October 20, 2009, 07:32:50 pm »

I have a 1999 Coloured Gold Maple Leaf Set, 5 GML's, for the 20th Anniversary of the GML. I'm told that there is a reference to them in the Charlton Standard Catalogue of Canadian Coins, 60th Edition, p.440.

I was once told by the Mint that these coins were not coloured at the Canadian Mint, but Charlton seems to have something else. Any chance one of you can scan the page for me? I'd like to sell the set, but need to know more about them.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 10:18:35 am by Paul Wallis »
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 01:38:57 am »

Hi Paul,

I actually have the same set that you are talking about.  I bought from a U.S. precious metals dealer back in 2001.

It is listed in the Charlton Coin Guide (unfortunately, I don't have a copy).   However, I do have a advertisement clipping from the Canadian Coin News from the summer of 2002, where Colonial Acres was selling this set. 

They wrote:  "Extremely Rare 1979-1999 Coloured Commemorative Gold Maple Leaf Set."
This set contains 5 pure Gold Maple Leafs from the 1 oz through to the 1/20th oz and depicts a bright red Maple Leaf.  This set was issued in 1999 at the same time as the Celebration/Pride coins but is much scarcer in issue.  Only 500 sets were issued World Wide.  Considering the popularity of the Celebration colour quarter as well as its now asking price, this Maple Leaf set should set records.     Yours for $2995. (Back in 2002 when gold prices weren't that high when compared to today).

I hope this helps Paul.

Michael

Smile from your heart.  ;D
schoqmcloi
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 10:55:03 am »

Hello Paul, i don't have the Charlton for coins, i have the 2009 Monnaies du Canada from Unitrade Press.

They talk about the specification of each of the coins (1, 5, 10, 20, 50$). They say that the image on the coins is also a hologram but don't specify anything else except that the coins have bright finish.

Quantity 500 set with a value of 3500$

the page is in french if you want i could scan it and e-mail it to you.

Serge
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 02:24:17 pm »

Paul ..sent you an email
FRIEDSQUID

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 09:14:14 pm »

Thank you all. These coins are not actually holograms, they are painted enamel, much like the Mint does on their coloured quarters. They were "coloured" by a Swiss company.

I'm off to eBay now  8)

Login with username, password and session length