Author
Topic: washed and pressed  (Read 4240 times)
87Megalodon
« on: March 08, 2010, 10:04:34 pm »

I am just wondering how to tell if a bill has been washed and pressed just by looking at a picture. is it possible to? or do you have to feel it to tell?
I noticed this item on ebay, the inside is white (this is my first time uploading an image hopefully it showed). Is this an indication that the bill has been washed or is it possible that it has just faded away over the years?  Any advice or tips people have on examining bills will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 10:40:37 pm by BWJM »
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 10:23:49 pm »

If you have a catlogue read page 214 and you will find some info on the 1937 notes in regards to paper and titanium oxide used as a brightner...
The brightness does not mean it has been washed or pressed

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 10:34:07 pm »

There's no way to tell anything from that particular image because the brightness and contrast are too high.  It's common to see images like this online for two reasons:
- many people don't know how to control brightness and contrast when scanning notes;
- some people use improper scanner settings intentionally to produce images like this for the purpose of hiding imperfections in the paper.

So I cannot answer your question about washed and pressed notes.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 10:35:38 pm by mmars »

No hay banda  
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 10:23:19 am »

I am just wondering how to tell if a bill has been washed and pressed just by looking at a picture ......

The paper on your note looks suspiciously bright to me. It could possibly have been bleached but not necessarily so. As member mmars has correctly pointed out above, the brightness could possibly be due to incorrect or improper use of the scanning device. I've attached a scan of a similar note from the immediately following series U/N. The paper on this note (of which I have several in sequence) is not nearly as white as on your T/N note. I leave you to draw your own conclusions.

{http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-1/1293040/UN.jpg}
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 10:41:26 am by Ottawa »

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
Kelly b.
  • CPMS #1356
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 12:36:07 pm »

It is highly likely the brightness of the image is from digital manipulation.  If it was a photograph, I would say it was "over exposed".  This is easily done with Photoshop or the settings on the scanner.  It is a good way to hide imperfections like creases.  I personally never purchase any notes on Ebay that are over exposed; for me it's a red flag.  I am NOT insinuating that the note you are looking at is anything other than what the seller claims.

There is a thin line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.
87Megalodon
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 12:09:25 pm »

thanks for the tips, I didn't end up purchasing the note. It may have just been an improper scan, or photo but i figured it wasn't worth the risk.

Login with username, password and session length