Author
Topic: Got a 1979 $20 from an ATM today!  (Read 4217 times)
actuary6
  • Paper Money is Art!
« on: July 18, 2007, 12:42:22 am »

Wow, today must be my lucky day!  I withdrew some money from an ATM and one of the bills was a 1979 $20 (Serial 56777760065)!  It's in VF and is worth no more than face, but I still feel lucky.  This bill somehow slipped through the system and escaped destruction!  I'm gonna hold onto it for sentimental value.

Brad
bwho9d
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 02:52:27 am »

I received one too (about a year ago though). It was in horrible condition though. I was as happy at first but when I found out it didn't have a trend over face value I was very disappointed.  :'(

Which bank did you go to? HSBC? 'Cause they are famous for not withdrawing older notes from deposits.
actuary6
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 03:03:52 pm »

I received one too (about a year ago though). It was in horrible condition though. I was as happy at first but when I found out it didn't have a trend over face value I was very disappointed.  :'(

Which bank did you go to? HSBC? 'Cause they are famous for not withdrawing older notes from deposits.

It came from a TD ATM. 

I can't say I am disappointed that its not worth more than face.  I don't collect for profit, but for satisfaction.  A particular bill is more meaningful to me if I plucked it from circulation or if it was given to me from a family member or friend.  My most cherished bills are worth little more than face - like half of a multicoloured $1 bill that my Dad gave to my Mom when they first met.  He tore the $1 in half, gave half to my Mom and kept the other half.  My Mom lost her half, but my Dad kept his and now it rests in my collection!
bwho9d
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 03:22:03 pm »

I have to agree. People approach currency collection differently. Some enjoy profiting off it (dealers, brick searchers (well, not really)). Others enjoy the hobby and do it for satisfaction.

I'm currently collecting for satisfaction, but in the future, I might make paper money collecting as a second source of income.
buxvet
  • Is there anybody in the ceremony is about to begin
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 08:32:25 pm »

Wow, today must be my lucky day!  I withdrew some money from an ATM and one of the bills was a 1979 $20 (Serial 56777760065)!  It's in VF and is worth no more than face, but I still feel lucky.  This bill somehow slipped through the system and escaped destruction!  I'm gonna hold onto it for sentimental value.

Brad

About a year ago I went to a Tim Hortons in Newmarket. If I remember it was in a gas station at Green Lane and Leslie and I got a "Replacement 51" 1979 $ 20. It was VF. I figure someone was probably saving it and then just decided to spend it.

Login with username, password and session length