Author
Topic: eBay changes allowed payment methods for Canadians  (Read 5882 times)
54devs
  • Only money will help me now !!!
« on: August 28, 2008, 10:48:51 pm »

What can I say. It seems that eBay wants to change what Canadians who sell their goods on eBay.com can accept as payment. Starting in Oct 2008, Canadians selling their bank notes or anything else for that matter will no longer be permitted to accept cashier's or personal checks nor money orders as payment. You will need to sell on eBay.ca to do this. This will drastically reduce the exposure of the goods we're selling.

Is it just me or is eBay trying to force Canadians to use Paypal?

I will be trying to sell my notes before Oct 2008 and then try to find another way to sell because this is ridiculous.

kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 09:38:26 am »

I dont see how this will effect the exposure of the note as the majority will have a search query for Paypal only, not the other way around. The only thing this will limit will be the eBay payment method but I see no problem if one would include these options in their item description. You can also include this in your description when sending the total.

Jason

KC's Canadian Currency
rocken
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 11:05:21 am »

The only thing this will limit will be the eBay payment method but I see no problem if one would include these options in their item description. You can also include this in your description when sending the total.

Jason
Actually eBay currently agressively monitors and terminates any auction that states anywhere on the auction , including the description ,that the seller will accept cash. This has happened to me many times. I am 100% sure they will be even tougher when it comes to accepting cheques and money orders.
It seems that  ebay has become  a dictator and less of the facilitator it started off as.

54devs
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 10:52:57 pm »

My point here was, simply stated, that eBay.com will basically force Canadians to ramp up their acceptance of eBay payments thus removing my right to choose a cheaper payment solution. :'(
gonkman
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 10:22:39 am »

Yeah I see the point of them having a "Monopoly" on payment options.

I prefer paypal personally.  I like getting paid quick and sending stuff out quick but that's me.

I recently bought a couple notes from a person in the US.   Its been 3 1/2 weeks and I am still waiting on the return trip of the notes back to me.  It cost me $5 for the Money order and $12 for Express post to mail it down securely.  That's $17 more for me the buyer.. plus the Shipping costs back to me.

I wish they would allow us to use Interac Direct Payment but a lot of Canadian people still don't know about it.   And it is a "cost" to the Buyer although small.

I think E-Bay is trying to make Purchasing safer for buyers with Paypal. 

I personally prefer paying with Paypal as well.  I know if the item doesn't get to me or I don't like it.   I have a way of returning the item or getting my money back.  Paypal will side 99% of the time with the buyer.

Just my 2 cents..  Or Shinplaster :)

54devs
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 07:12:25 pm »

The recipient of Paypal payments is forced to pay yet another exorbitant fee above the insertion and final valuation fees that are imposed on us by eBay and these fees only continue to increase. We can do without the monopolizing system that eBay is imposing.

Someone might say that this is the cost of doing business, but I don't have to like it or sell on eBay.
harwil4u2
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 07:26:47 pm »

It seam that each time E-BAY has a problem they come down on us Canadians.

Look at the ICCS problem with forgery and grading, the same problems is happen with all TPG company's but only the Canadian company payed the price.  ???
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 12:43:18 pm »

I doubt eBay (or any auction format, broker, dealer, etc) "has it in for" the original seller/owner or buyer.   Many businesses take advantage of people's desire for convenience and security-- which is what they seem to be successfully doing though PayPal. 

Every single Canadian buyer has the option to pay through Interac (unless its an international purchase) which, in my opinion, is the only way to go.  Its unfortunate that so many people remain stubborn- resisting Interac email money transfers--thus allowing eBay to capitalize on people's laziness.  More sellers should be offering a small discount for Interac purchases so that eBay can't double-dip into their profits. Since MO's, cashier's cheques and postage can cost the buyer-- Interac money transfers make most sense to me.

hanmer
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 07:59:58 am »

I love Interact email money transfers. Pay Pal is a good second choice, due to the protection it offers. Cash is king though if the seller doesn't mind waiting for it! I can see how sellers who do accept MO's or cash may not like this as it dips into an already slim margain on many notes. Personally I think this is a business decision on EBAY's part to increase their own bottom line. It is driving people away from the site and forcing people to find other alternatives to buy or sell notes (this site, Craig's List, etc.) As consumers of a service we can vote with our feet if we choose to. Driving more people to sell and or trade here might be a good thing. Maybe Brent can make a few bucks from it to cover off his hosting costs, or offer more services (i.e. secure payments)

:)

:)
Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 08:57:00 pm »

Has anyone had their listing removed because the seller put Interact email money transfer as a payment option? I've seen it a few times offered from sellers with one person offering a S&H discount for using EMT. I don't know whether has anyone started experiencing some grief over this yet.

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon

Login with username, password and session length