Author
Topic: Value of Low Serial 1937 $2 Osborne-Towers Serial A/B 0000713! Help?  (Read 5276 times)
gonkman

Hello...

I have recently accuired a 1937 $2 Osborne-Towers Serial A/B 0000713 note.

The note is in the VG-F range but I am leaning towards Fine. 

I know that the charlton guide says that low numbered 1937 Notes were note saved and are "Very Rare".

I have been trying to search around from old Torex auctions and Fee-Bay auctions for a potenial value on this note.

Any help from you members who have seen a lot of rarer notes and auction items would be great on a possible determination on this note's value.

Pros for note:
- Low Serial (Not Super low but 713 is low)
- Charlton Lists low serial 1937's as Very Rare
- It is an Osborne-Towers (Only 2 prefixes were made)
- It is number 713 of 285,000,000 notes printed.

Cons for note:
- Grade is VG-F Area
- Serial is not less than 100

I will post a scan of the note as soon as possible but it is still in Transit and not currently in my hands (I wish it was).  But the grade is definetly in the VG-F area anyway.

I see a note on E-Bay right now for a $1 Coyne-Towers Serial 0000030 in VG for $750.  I believe my note to be much rarer since it is an Osborne and a $2 and in better condition.  Am I wrong?

Link to the $1 on E-Bay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8422714986&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Would this note not be rarer than a 1954 $2 G/R Test note?  Only 2000 Osborne-Towers 1937 $2 low serials would exist?  Not many could have survived?

I would love to hear from you guys on your opinions on this note's potential value.

Thanks in advance..

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 11:24:53 am »

Would this note not be rarer than a 1954 $2 G/R Test note?  Only 2000 Osborne-Towers 1937 $2 low serials would exist?  Not many could have survived?
Like any other note, the greater the demand the higher the price. Quantity does not always make a note rare, it's demand in most cases.
My opinion only.

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 12:59:51 pm »

It certainly is a nice find

Given the lower grade I would say the value of your note is somewhere around $200-$300 to be fair to both parties. I recently purchases a radar $1 Osborne in aVF and paid 175 which is many multiples above book. I think the same principal should apply for yours

KC's Canadian Currency
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 01:14:39 pm »

As the Squid said, it all comes down to supply and demand. Many 19th century black & white notes are very rare but few people collect them so they are not so expensive. On the other hand, Unc Devil's Head notes (or most of them) are really very common but the price remains high because of demand.

I have a $50 1937 Gordon-Towers note with the low serial number B/H 0000141 as mentioned in the following thread:

http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/forum/index.php?topic=6671.0

Ultimately, it all comes down to the question "How low is low?". Most collectors want a number under 10.

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
gonkman
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 02:03:38 pm »

Thanks for your opinions so far.  I appreciate it.

I didn't expect it to be worth $5000+ or anything.   But I was hoping more than just book for it. 

I guess maybe time will tell?  Osbornes are fairly rare.. I mean compared to Gordon/Coyne 37's.   There's a never ending supply of $1 Gordon/Coynes everywhere but mostly in under EF.

Well maybe it's just me :) 

I think its kinda cool that this note was in the 1st Brick produced.  I assume it would of been in the first 1,000 note brick.

To see that this one even survived is kinda cool to me. :)

I will post a scan when I receive the note. 

Thanks..
gonkman
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 04:43:37 pm »

The note arrived today.  It is in better shap than I had thought.  There is some paper firmness.  :)

Here are the scans.

[edit]Made thumbnails. --BWJM[/edit]
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 06:30:07 pm by BWJM »
StormThief24
  • Wiki Editor
  • That's a *DE replacement... If only it were mine..
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 11:07:31 pm »

Thanks for your opinions so far.  I appreciate it.

I didn't expect it to be worth $5000+ or anything.   But I was hoping more than just book for it. 

I guess maybe time will tell?  Osbornes are fairly rare.. I mean compared to Gordon/Coyne 37's.   There's a never ending supply of $1 Gordon/Coynes everywhere but mostly in under EF.

Well maybe it's just me :) 

I think its kinda cool that this note was in the 1st Brick produced.  I assume it would of been in the first 1,000 note brick.

To see that this one even survived is kinda cool to me. :)

I will post a scan when I receive the note. 

Thanks..

Well, this note would have been in the first brick unless they had insert replacements then  :P

Back with new packaging, same great wiki editor!

Login with username, password and session length