Author
Topic: Two Tone 1954 Canadian Two Dollar Bill misprint  (Read 16456 times)
Elwoodbluesca
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Metro Coin & Banknote Company - Toronto Coin Expo
    • Metro Coin & Banknote Company
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2008, 03:56:00 pm »

About 2 yrs ago I saw a similar error on a 1937 $1 note, where the front was blue and the back was green. This note sold on ebay for (if my memory is right) about $30. I do remember bidding up to $22 for the note myself.

I think that this is one note that you will have take caution with “Caveat emptor”, even if you have collectors or dealers look at the note for their stamp of approval, you just can’t be 100% sure.

Even the auction house that deals with thousands of note leaves this note in a grey area with the “probably due to” statement

I must say that the note is very interesting due to the fact it is defiantly a conversation piece among collectors, as we just don’t know the true store behind the missing colour.

www.metrocbc.com - Metro Coin & Banknote Company
www.torontocoinexpo.ca - Toronto Coin Expo
President - Canadian Paper Money Society #1605
Director - J. Douglas Ferguson Foundation
JB-2007
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2008, 05:49:56 pm »

I personally think that the note is faded, i mean its possible. Perhaps this note was in contact with direct sunlight for a prolonged period of time, enough so that the red is gone.  ???
vmarc1
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2008, 09:53:41 pm »

I personally think that the note is faded, i mean its possible. Perhaps this note was in contact with direct sunlight for a prolonged period of time, enough so that the red is gone.  ???

Interesting theory. Seems possible, though I'm really not very knowledgeable about this stuff. Have you seen that effect take place while the rest of the printing on the same side of the bill are still present and unaffected? That's the one thing that seems odd about that theory, selective fading. Possibly to do with the sort of ink types used?
hanmer
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2008, 09:58:03 pm »

Is it possible that the ink bled or faded due to the envelope's paper type during storage for all those years? Kind of like a newspaper changes color, or a comic book.

:)

:)

Login with username, password and session length