Author
Topic: 1935 FRENCH $5  (Read 10195 times)
alvin5454
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2010, 06:05:06 pm »

A note is not original if it has been pressed.
Australia
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2010, 12:09:16 pm »

...Which is why I would recommend taking an ordinary graphite pencil and coloring in the white area on the portrait.  Virtually every 1935 note has been modified in some way, and this is hardly a detrimental modification.  Also, the black seal on the right side of the face looks less than 100% complete.  You might want to get a really thin black pen and have a go at that.  The inks on the 1935 $2, $5 and $10 notes are easily lifted off the surface.  Someone trying to press the note with a hot iron may have caused the design loss on the seal.

MMars - I quite enjoyed your 'tongue-in-cheek' comments, they made me laugh -  sometimes I think we all take things to literally and seriously.

Thank you
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2010, 03:30:08 pm »

MMars - I quite enjoyed your 'tongue-in-cheek' comments, they made me laugh -  sometimes I think we all take things to literally and seriously.

Thank you

;)
You're welcome.

No hay banda  
Art_1_ Paper
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2010, 08:35:02 pm »

Don Olmstead is selling a note on eBay that's graded VF-20. Compare it with mine. That's what I do to get ideas. IMO my note is better than a regular VF. Thanks for all the input. I have another note that I need opinions on, will post scans soon.
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2010, 09:58:37 am »

Your note is most certainly better than a PMG VF-20 but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's better than a Charlton VF! Needless to say, if you want to use the Charlton catalogue prices then you logically have to use the Charlton grading standards. Unfortunately, this doesn't always happen on eBay and many buyers end up getting burned. This is the problem, and it's a big problem, with having two distinct and very different grading standards, one in Canada and one in the US.

The sooner we end up with one single grading system in North America the better, at least in my opinion. Just think about it, if you have a note that most people in Canada agree is a Fine according to Charlton standards and you send it across the border and obtain a PMG VF-20 or PMG VF-25 grade then something is just plain wrong. Obviously, the Americans aren't going to change their grading standards. In my opinion it's a case of "If you can't beat 'em then join 'em". It's little wonder that many Canadian collectors and dealers are sending their notes to US auction houses and to US TPG companies!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 10:05:06 am by Ottawa »

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2010, 02:13:38 pm »

It's not the duality of having two distinct grading systems that is the problem.  It's the way some online sellers are playing the two systems against each other that causes problems.  There are quite a few eBay sellers who have the audacity to charge a PREMIUM for PMG graded Canadian notes.  If anything, their notes should sell for a huge discount because of the laxer PMG grading standards.  Those sellers are depending on the naivety of a few buyers to make a direct correlation between the PMG grade and Charlton catalogue price.

US grading companies are not here to help younger inexperienced collectors; they are being here to PREY upon collectors who can't grade.

No hay banda  
Art_1_ Paper
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2010, 02:55:42 pm »

Well everyone has to try to make money one way or another, right? Afterall, paper money is just that: paper... art. If someone really likes a bill, he/she will need something to convince himself to spend $x of money that he/she can afford on it without feeling stupid and without feeling like he would have to make a fool out of the potential buyers in the future.

I still think my bill is better than a VF, even according to Charlton!

And mmars, you nailed it, some sellers have no shame in listing a PMG-VF25 for $7500 US when VF is booked at $5,500 in the Charlton and EF is booked at $7000.

And what's up with listing in US dollars ??? Do they really think people are really THAT stupid? That if they want to pay $1000 for an item, $920 US will look to them like a "discount"?

It really tilts me to think how much money was given to eBay for nothing whatsoever.

Login with username, password and session length